BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost have my carputer complete, but I have run into a snag with the location of a touchscreen. The following are considerations:

(1) I want to keep OEM CD/radio - Unfortunately Rich's bezel is out primarily because I have the BMW bluetooth (which consistently works instead of a bluetooth dongle/software combo)

(2) I don't think sunglass storage area will work - I did a test run with the fiance last week and she kept looking down at the screen for iGuidance directions because it does not announce side streets - I am afraid sooner or later she will get in an accident. If there is a way to get iGuidance to announce roads other than highways let me know.

I thought about putting the screen to the right of the A/C controls using one of the custom GPS mounts out there. I though there was a picture in this forum showing someone who had done this, but i can't find it.

Any suggestions are appreciated -

J

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
If you do want to keep the stock radio, the only practical solution would be in the sunglass area. You could mount it to the dash, but 1. It would call attention to thieves and 2. looks jury-rigged

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh - I am concerned about it not looking finished, but have resolved that it is probably better to be off on aesthetics than to get a call from the fiance saying she rear-ended someone.

If I could get iGuidance to read the street names like PocketMap Navigator that may be of assistance. I have been watching for months for a sunglass cubby bezel but they don't come up often - any suggestions on where to come up with one? -

J

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
04M3Vert - I appreciate your response on putting the screen in the corner - it remains an alternative. I would really like to place the screen, however, where the passenger has the ability to control mp3 plays and entry of the GPS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have searched MP3car.com and E46fanatics copiously without finding a solution for putting the screen on the dash in the center above the A/C vents. I assume this may b/c of heat, non-visibility or likelihood of theft? Has anyone come up with a solution similar to that found on the new BMWs with a seperate hood in the middle of the dash?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3onDubs thanks for your reply and you many posts - they have been useful in the assembly of my carputer.

I am running RoadRunner and primarily will be using the carputer for GPS, MP3s and the occassional internet access. Obviously, there are a lot of cool features with RR (gas, weather, etc.). I am using the Car2PC adaptor and all else is in general working order with exception of video. It seems a waste to move to a DICE Ipod integration and portable GPS at this point - especially b/c there would be no integration with the GPS and sound system.

It sounds like you may be working up to a suggestion -

J

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ca1212 - That mount was what I was referring to in my original post. Any chance you know where to find the pic in this forum using the pro-fit mount with a touchscreen? My searches have not been successful -

J

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
ca1212 - That mount was what I was referring to in my original post. Any chance you know where to find the pic in this forum using the pro-fit mount with a touchscreen? My searches have not been successful -

J
I used to have it in my car for the phone:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=164294
Don't have any pics with a touch screen, but it shouldn't be too hard to mount it there. Might need to get shifted a bit to avoid blocking the radio.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ca1242 - Thanks. I was really hoping to find the pic in this forum that showed someone who actually used the gps mount with a touch screen. I am starting to think it is now a dead link b/c i have been unsuccessful in finding it. If anyone has it cached i would appreciate seeing it again. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts