E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

44221 - 44240 of 44280 Posts

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
725 Posts
Almost there..... I didn't want to take the loom out of the injector loom cover, but I'll have too. Wires won't reach. >:/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went to change DSC sensors and crossthreaded one inside the master cylinder screwing it in at the wrong angle. That's the master cylinder and ABS pump out, right before the weekend too. And had to order INPA to electronically bleed the ABS pump. However good opportunity to assess for new seals and gaskets and clean the area.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
725 Posts
Went to change DSC sensors and crossthreaded one inside the master cylinder screwing it in at the wrong angle. That's the master cylinder and ABS pump out, right before the weekend too. And had to order INPA to electronically bleed the ABS pump. However good opportunity to assess for new seals and gaskets and clean the area.
Ouch. That sucks. Nothing ever goes as expected working on cars. I planned on having mine do its first start today. No.... not today. Drove around trying to find elbows, fittings and 1 inch diameter hose for the stupid icv connection I need to make.

·
Registered
2004 330i 6MT Touring
133 Posts
Had some long cranks, low fuel pressure in mornings. Swapped the green relays - horn and fuel pump behind glove box. No change. Few months later fed up get new dealer fuel pump relay starts and runs like a champo_O

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Following new valve cover, CCV, sucking jet, silicon vacuum hoses, plus highway miles, completed second a LM Engine Flush and third oil change (LM + T6) since noting carbon buildup. Engine definitely cleaning up; fresh oil and cam covers look cleaner. Newly discovered oil consumption seems improved. Realized I missed cleaning, and replacing oring, on the dipstick tube. Did this along with installation of @Megalocnus O2Pilot Mod (includes inline valve). May have found a root cause as the dipstick tube was restricted (though not blocked). Brake cleaner flowed and visually clean; found by a blow test. Able to dislodge some hard bits of carbon with steel wire. Thinking this restriction reduced vacuum in oil line and thus CCV efficiency which then led to oil consumption and carbon build-up. Seems consistent with why BMW thought redesigning the dipstick tube necessary.

Tentatively set O2Pilot Mod valve at half-open. Intend to watch oil level and cleanliness to inform next steps and change oil to LM at 3,000 miles. Also replaced the fragile and broken clips on RR brake sensor wire.

UPDATE: Switched off O2Pilot. Finding oil 4" up on dipstick and not draining readily to oil pan. Counterproductive with tube blockage. Looking for a single tube/cold weather dipstick tube as replacement

·
Registered
M54 330i
501 Posts
So I guess I'm keeping my E46 for awhile longer.

I wrote a list of all mods / replacements / upgrades I would like to do. The list came to be $5,000. That's double the tax value of the car.

Anyway I'm not going to do all $5,000. But I might do $1500 to keep it good while I keep it for awhile longer. Truth is that the depreciation on my replacement car will be at least that probably in 1 to 2 years, so it's not a bad investment if I'm ok with keeping my E46 for awhile longer, even if I don't recoup it on my own car in resale value.

To make me feel good about keeping it for a bit longer, I want to do a few upgrades and repairs to make me happier with keeping this car for awhile longer. I do still think my E46 is the most beautiful of all 3 models.

Stuff I am going to do:

Upgrade to M-Tech II front bumper. I've wanted this aesthetic mod since I got the car. I just ordered it for under $200 and can also get it painted for $200. That's cheaper than repainting my M-Tech I front bumper which is starting to need it.

New tires. All 4 of my tires are nearly bald, but especially the front. I didn't notice. They're just a couple years old, so although these tires are inexpensive, they wear fast because I don't drive much. But more so because it's uneven wear due to bad control arm, but the rears are at the point of needing replacement too. Still enough traction but it has to be done. I might wait until after my journey cross country soon. There is still probably enough tread left for one more trip.

That said maybe I won't wait - I know the dealer near me has a good price on mounting and they don't scratch my rims - although I am suspicious they break something every time they take it. They keep my car for 3-4 hours and when I get it back something goes wrong the next day. First time it was all 4 window regulators. Next time it was my AC blower. During warranty work replacing my air bags, they broke my wood trim. No, they did not pay me for the damage they caused but they offered to let me "file a complaint". Their quote for replacing the motor mounts? $675. No thanks. They might not even be bad, maybe the DISA valve is causing the occasional rough idle. $250 for a diagnostic. That's why I don't take my car to get worked on at the dealer. Of course I did not pay then for that. At least they informed me my tires need replaced due to low tread as a courtesy.

AC blower is working intermittently. I knew about it last year but it was winter. Now it's nearly summer and it went out - on a 73 degree day, luckily. And now it's back again, but can't have this happen. It's surely the blower resister. There is no whining sound, so I don't think it's the motor. I read that when the blower motor is going out then there's a whining sound. I already have the blower resister, just need to find the time (and energy) to do it.

I bought new roundels to replace the wearing ones.

I finally bought the DISA repair kit and splurged on the $75 one from GAS instead of the $30 ebay one. It's on the way.

I want to superglue the broken washer nozzle. The plastic broke on one side. I could replace it, but I really don't need it, and if I superglue the plastic together it may fix it permanently.

I really want to tear off all the sagging headliner and pillars and replace with a black fabric. I figured joann fabrics has something and I already have the spray adhesive, this is a cheap but somewhat time consuming mod.

I should really do the DM5 module repair. Yes he's still doing it last time I checked recently.

Does anyone know any software that can code for the parking light delete in the US? I saw how to build a box with a bunch of wiring but don't have time for that. Would rather press a button on a mobile app to do it. Don't want to deal with installing the computer software.

If I did everything? Well not everything here really needs done, but if I were really keeping for several more years I could spend the 5k, here's what I would do:
1000 - front and rear suspension refresh
500 - upgrade springs and shocks
150 - convert to heated seats
100 - add backup camera
350 - motor mounts (don't know if need but if so)
400 - repaint rear bumper (will need eventually, it's ok now though)
400 - replace / repaint fenders
500 - vanos seals
500 - fix several miscellaneous minor annoyances like broken wood trim etc
500 - possible other repairs
= 4000 to 4500 if I did it all myself. Including what I'm already doing it would be around 5500+. But I almost certainly won't do all this. If I did, the car would be show-worthy. Heck, it's nearly show worthy now minus the new bumper that's coming and the headliner which I'm probably going to fix. Looks really nice for nearly 150k miles.

But I'm getting the upgrade itch. I'm trying to stave it off. I do love my car though and I've maintained it well.
02.JPG
11.JPG

Ok you got me, those pictures were from 2014. But I've only put on about 20k miles in the last (7 years??!! time flies) and it's been garage kept, so it still looks about the same. Wheels have actually been replaced (with same ones after shop ruined originals), no curb rash.

·
Registered
M54 330i
501 Posts
Ok here are some updated pictures. As you see, the car looks the same since 2014.

2019 front and back:
2019-330i-front.png
2019-330i-rear.png

2021 pictures from just a couple months ago. A little pollen on it at the time, but still just as clean. This is the most recent photo I have. Not the whole car, but good enough to see it.
2021-03-330i.png

Only thing is the plastic rack molding on top is fading, I need to paint that.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
@bmw9 If it needs repairs, make the repairs before upgrades, unless the upgrades are in the process of repairing. I'd rather have mine driving safely and reliably down the road than looking pretty while not safe and/or broken in the driveway/garage. Fix the suspension, get and alignment, get new tires 100% before anything else.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
725 Posts
So I guess I'm keeping my E46 for awhile longer.

I wrote a list of all mods / replacements / upgrades I would like to do. The list came to be $5,000. That's double the tax value of the car.

Anyway I'm not going to do all $5,000. But I might do $1500 to keep it good while I keep it for awhile longer. Truth is that the depreciation on my replacement car will be at least that probably in 1 to 2 years, so it's not a bad investment if I'm ok with keeping my E46 for awhile longer, even if I don't recoup it on my own car in resale value.

To make me feel good about keeping it for a bit longer, I want to do a few upgrades and repairs to make me happier with keeping this car for awhile longer. I do still think my E46 is the most beautiful of all 3 models.

Stuff I am going to do:

Upgrade to M-Tech II front bumper. I've wanted this aesthetic mod since I got the car. I just ordered it for under $200 and can also get it painted for $200. That's cheaper than repainting my M-Tech I front bumper which is starting to need it.

New tires. All 4 of my tires are nearly bald, but especially the front. I didn't notice. They're just a couple years old, so although these tires are inexpensive, they wear fast because I don't drive much. But more so because it's uneven wear due to bad control arm, but the rears are at the point of needing replacement too. Still enough traction but it has to be done. I might wait until after my journey cross country soon. There is still probably enough tread left for one more trip.

That said maybe I won't wait - I know the dealer near me has a good price on mounting and they don't scratch my rims - although I am suspicious they break something every time they take it. They keep my car for 3-4 hours and when I get it back something goes wrong the next day. First time it was all 4 window regulators. Next time it was my AC blower. During warranty work replacing my air bags, they broke my wood trim. No, they did not pay me for the damage they caused but they offered to let me "file a complaint". Their quote for replacing the motor mounts? $675. No thanks. They might not even be bad, maybe the DISA valve is causing the occasional rough idle. $250 for a diagnostic. That's why I don't take my car to get worked on at the dealer. Of course I did not pay then for that. At least they informed me my tires need replaced due to low tread as a courtesy.

AC blower is working intermittently. I knew about it last year but it was winter. Now it's nearly summer and it went out - on a 73 degree day, luckily. And now it's back again, but can't have this happen. It's surely the blower resister. There is no whining sound, so I don't think it's the motor. I read that when the blower motor is going out then there's a whining sound. I already have the blower resister, just need to find the time (and energy) to do it.

I bought new roundels to replace the wearing ones.

I finally bought the DISA repair kit and splurged on the $75 one from GAS instead of the $30 ebay one. It's on the way.

I want to superglue the broken washer nozzle. The plastic broke on one side. I could replace it, but I really don't need it, and if I superglue the plastic together it may fix it permanently.

I really want to tear off all the sagging headliner and pillars and replace with a black fabric. I figured joann fabrics has something and I already have the spray adhesive, this is a cheap but somewhat time consuming mod.

I should really do the DM5 module repair. Yes he's still doing it last time I checked recently.

Does anyone know any software that can code for the parking light delete in the US? I saw how to build a box with a bunch of wiring but don't have time for that. Would rather press a button on a mobile app to do it. Don't want to deal with installing the computer software.

If I did everything? Well not everything here really needs done, but if I were really keeping for several more years I could spend the 5k, here's what I would do:
1000 - front and rear suspension refresh
500 - upgrade springs and shocks
150 - convert to heated seats
100 - add backup camera
350 - motor mounts (don't know if need but if so)
400 - repaint rear bumper (will need eventually, it's ok now though)
400 - replace / repaint fenders
500 - vanos seals
500 - fix several miscellaneous minor annoyances like broken wood trim etc
500 - possible other repairs
= 4000 to 4500 if I did it all myself. Including what I'm already doing it would be around 5500+. But I almost certainly won't do all this. If I did, the car would be show-worthy. Heck, it's nearly show worthy now minus the new bumper that's coming and the headliner which I'm probably going to fix. Looks really nice for nearly 150k miles.

But I'm getting the upgrade itch. I'm trying to stave it off. I do love my car though and I've maintained it well.
View attachment 927893 View attachment 927894
Ok you got me, those pictures were from 2014. But I've only put on about 20k miles in the last (7 years??!! time flies) and it's been garage kept, so it still looks about the same. Wheels have actually been replaced (with same ones after shop ruined originals), no curb rash.
Go to discount tire. It's a national chain. I've been going to them for all my tires for over a decade. Their prices can't be beat. For my e46 I paid 400 bucks installed with warranty. 245/40/17 rears and 225/45/17 fronts.

Go to fcpeuro.com for your suspension. I spent about 500 bucks on struts, shocks and springs. Not crappy ones either. Sachs and eibach. I get a discount though and I got the stuff on sale.

You can rebuild your vanos for 100 bucks.

Motor mounts are 60 bucks.

Don't paint. Dip your car. Dipyourcar.com I spent 400 bucks dipping my e60.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,613 Posts
I didn't read all of that, but wanted to say that when my blower motor crapped out it didn't make any whining noise, it just started working intermittently. I replaced the FSR and still no joy so replaced the motor and that took care of it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'd replace control arms and refesh w/Sachs shocks (keep current springs), new tires, repair blower, and vanos seals. If gluing plastics, don't use super glue (it will fail); had really good success using JB Plastic Weld (in black or clear). If looking for cruising tires, pleased with Continental Pure Contact LS; ordered at Discount Tires for $110 (unless driving a pickup truck, do NOT buy their store specific Continentals with a similar name). Enjoy!

·
Registered
2004 325ci
413 Posts
Got my sunshade retrofit mostly done. Sadly couldn't save the OG pins for the wiring from the donor car, but I hopefully have the right ones on order to finish the wiring into the switch. Think I'm going to have to add more black parts to the interior in the future, I'm liking the two tone look this added.

Sunshade by Jordan v., on Flickr

·
Registered
589 Posts
Today the garage swapped my broken leaking diff i went with a 3.38 diff on my 330ci,my first impression is that it has improved the cars responsiveness.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
They are fairly easy. The front ones.... well, those are like trying to shove a square block into a round hole.
I've found the best way is to compress the upper perch with the spring (if you can safely) to get enough compression to be able to disassemble the strut.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
725 Posts
I've found the best way is to compress the upper perch with the spring (if you can safely) to get enough compression to be able to disassemble the strut.

Yes. I had a tool where you slide the whole assembly in. But it was no where as easy as i pictured it would be. All I could imagine was it flying all apart and taking half my face with it.

44221 - 44240 of 44280 Posts