BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

44001 - 44020 of 44063 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 330ci Convertible Sport package
233 Posts
The car goes to the garage on wednesday to have the diff carrier replaced,i should then have an answer.I would say that at 220k miles the bushes i have changed looked ok but the stiffness in them was gone and the lower trailing arm outer bushes were completly gone.it is not possible to see them with the arm on.So far there is less clunks.To your main question do i think it was worth it so far yes as they were long overdue.Has it improved the handling no.
PS i forgot the tracking is probably out at the moment and it will be having a 4 wheel alignment next week,i should have a definative answer then.
Exactly, seems the rear ones aren't as obvious as the front bushes when done. I treat all of mine with AT205 every time I am under there, and mine have never seen inclement weather, but I know heat can do bad things also though.

·
Premium Member
2003 330ci Convertible Sport package
233 Posts
I saw someone mention automatic transmission fluid before on bushes,this is to condition the rubber?
Yes, the stuff I use is universal stop leak. Made to swell rubber. So far it looks to be doing its job, I have no squeaks, clunks etc in the rear at all. 2003 with 128k

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,215 Posts
Finally got my m54b30 swap completed on my XiTouring. I sent my injectors to RCfuelinjection and had them refurb'd. @ 130k miles 3 were dripping and all had poor spray patterns with low cc/m flow. They returned them with new filters and O-rings and all were flowing at 235 cc/m. Once installed, I flashed the 3.0 Tune and the car is running as solid as I've ever seen a M54. I still need to flash the transmission. (today). The only odd thing I'm noticing right now is a short delay accelerating from a stop. I'm hoping the Transmission update will solve that. Also, just hit 90K miles :) Not sure how many Tannin/Stahl 3.0 XI Touring's are out there, but I bet not many!

I have the same color and wheels. I am swapping the window trim to black over the next few weeks, but otherwise identical.

My 330 swap is going to have to wait. My wife is very unhappy with my car fixation.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,215 Posts
PLEASE update if it was worth the effort. I have seen many do this and said it was not.
I have done it on two cars. The main ones are the RTABs and the differential bushings, which you can definitely tell. The others boil down to PM if you don't have symptoms. I did my subframe bushings because I want them as flexible as possible to avoid subframe cracks, but I have no data to suggest this is even a thing! ;)

I will say that at 150k, all three differential bushings were visibly shot, with multiple cracks. The subframe bushings had no visible issues. The upper/lower control arm outer bushings were very loose - the ball joints were totally shot.

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,283 Posts
Why did you give it away?
It was time to move on and she needed a good car for winter driving. Her Sentra with a CVT apparently is terrible and unsafe in the snow. Besides she's going to be a doctor and a BMW is more fitting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,215 Posts
It was time to move on and she needed a good car for winter driving. Her Sentra with a CVT apparently is terrible and unsafe in the snow. Besides she's going to be a doctor and a BMW is more fitting.

It is funny - you joined almost the same time I did. It has been a while!

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,283 Posts
It is funny - you joined almost the same time I did. It has been a while!
It has been a while. I'll still do what maintenance I can. She'll need to bring it back here, hard to know tools I'd need to go 100 miles away to fix it.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,215 Posts
It has been a while. I'll still do what maintenance I can. She'll need to bring it back here, hard to know tools I'd need to go 100 miles away to fix it.

I have two travel kits that work well!

·
Premium Member
E46 330xit, E90 330i
137 Posts
My 2004 325xit with B30 got a new battery today. Normally, I would go Interstate but I rolled the dice on a Diehard Gold.

The old battery was a 9 year old BMW dealer/parts counter H7, apparently made by Exide. The parts store had the H7 and H8 at the same price and I noticed that the H8 had a differently shaped top and a made in Germany label so I went for it.

A bit more weight in the right rear corner now but I guess slightly improved weight distribution what with the xi drivetrain in front.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
225 Posts
I made a bit of a preliminary start on my 325i while I wait for some parts to arrive.

I'm not pulling the manifold until my coolant hard pipes arrive, as it's my first BMW and I don't want to rely on my memory for a long period of time, even with a bunch of pictures.

I took the bumper off and removed the Aux fan, as I'll be going with an electric puller fan. The fan shroud was already a bit mangled from previous rough handling, so I broke it up and threw it away. Removed the clutch and fan as well, and as soon as my FCP order hits Australian shores I'll start removing the radiator/ET/intake and manifold.

To be honest all the radiator/ET/coolant hoses looked good, and made me wonder if I'm going overboard, but I'll sleep better knowing I've done it all from the start. It's in good order and obviously has been serviced, but there's no service book sadly, and with 240,000kms it's probably best to do the lot. Belts look good as well, but there was a squealing with the AC on, so I don't regret the full belts/pulleys/tensioner kits I've got there.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
225 Posts
Some headlight lenses off of eBay would be an inexpensive and noticeable improvement next.
If you are talking to me, yes I think you might have a point! I was looking at them and a lot of that crap seemed to scratch off with a fingernail, and I was thinking of polishing them, but if they are separate to the headlight (first Beemer, don't know) and are reasonably priced I'll go that way for sure. Better than the Police telling me.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
3,501 Posts
If you are talking to me, yes I think you might have a point! I was looking at them and a lot of that crap seemed to scratch off with a fingernail, and I was thinking of polishing them, but if they are separate to the headlight (first Beemer, don't know) and are reasonably priced I'll go that way for sure. Better than the Police telling me.
Yes you, and yes they come off pretty easily. I'd recommend some new gaskets too, but they're only available genuine.

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,283 Posts
You could wet sand and put on a UV resistant clear coat. Rustoleum has one .

44001 - 44020 of 44063 Posts