BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

43761 - 43780 of 43804 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah it's difficult to keep it looking good. my passengers get an earful for putting their phone/wallet/keys there :mad:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Found source of recent DSC error and resolved steering wheel being off by 10 degrees from 2018 repairs. Though steering coupler has alignment splines, you can be off by a spline or two. Tinted windows with Suntek CXP (ceramic); real-world test in Texas heat coming shortly. Installed Panavise phone mount but unable to find holder in local areal; will order WixGear with flat, rectangular magnet. Replaced driver’s regulator with URO Premium (previous was BMW). Attempted to replace RR window regulator but wrong side (doh!); should have been LR. Fixed vaper barrier and added sound deadening while there. Car running really well; adding highway mileage soon. Ordered BMW mats and Liquid Moly flush and oil for next change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Took the M3 to the BMW dealer to get the airbag recall done. Look at what they did!
I think the strip got caught somewhere and popped off, and 18year old plastic was v brittle :-(

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Took the M3 to the BMW dealer to get the airbag recall done. Look at what they did!
I think the strip got caught somewhere and popped off, and 18year old plastic was v brittle :-(

View attachment 908014

View attachment 908015
Yikes! That's disappointing! Not sure how that could happen during the recall, unless it happened during a post recall wash in an automatic wash. I've found buggered airbag plugs, and loose dash trim, but not much else. Sad the plugs got knackered somewhere, as it's not a difficult job.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yikes! That's disappointing! Not sure how that could happen during the recall, unless it happened during a post recall wash in an automatic wash. I've found buggered airbag plugs, and loose dash trim, but not much else. Sad the plugs got knackered somewhere, as it's not a difficult job.
The moulding sticks out a bit from the door. My guess is when they were closing it the moulding hit something and snapped at the weakest point!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
The moulding sticks out a bit from the door. My guess is when they were closing it the moulding hit something and snapped at the weakest point!
If it was popped out a bit at the front then it may have caught when opening, actually. Still sucks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tensioner/idler pulleys and new belts are in. New Bimmerworld silicone hoses, and finished expansion tank install. Radiator wasn’t leaking so I bypassed that. Bad idea. Looks like by breaking hoses loose, removing/installing the fan, and jostling the expansion tank during removal and installation, I compromised the seal on the left plastic tank. Now a steady drip is clearly evident, and while I can’t see the exact location of the leak, the rest of the new connections are solid.

Entertaining an aluminum CSF replacement. Anyone do this already? It’s a bit larger than the OE. The car isn’t tracked but I am in FL.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Tensioner/idler pulleys and new belts are in. New Bimmerworld silicone hoses, and finished expansion tank install. Radiator wasn’t leaking so I bypassed that. Bad idea. Looks like by breaking hoses loose, removing/installing the fan, and jostling the expansion tank during removal and installation, I compromised the seal on the left plastic tank. Now a steady drip is clearly evident, and while I can’t see the exact location of the leak, the rest of the new connections are solid.

Entertaining an aluminum CSF replacement. Anyone do this already? It’s a bit larger than the OE. The car isn’t tracked but I am in FL.
I just installed a Mishimoto aluminum radiator for a customer and it fit better than expected. Took a little effort to get the final alignment to bolt it in with the electric fan (manual trans car), but otherwise turned out pretty good. The Mishimoto hoses, OTH, were not good. The upper was missing the o-ring to the expansion tank, and the lower leaked where it was clamped to one of the hose ends.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Replaced:
Bank 2 Catalytic Converter, Both O2 Sensors
Radiator and Fan Blade
OFHG
*Working on Intake Manifold Gasket(Saw that my flap for the DISA is F*Ed >_<)
And just bought New MAF

And I foresee much more in the very much near future

·
Registered
E46 330IA Paddle shift mod, E34 525I LSD, E39 525TDS
1 Posts
Hard week for me. Decided to change valve cover gasket and broke CCV pipe... so as it follows: CCV, intake gasket, DISA gasket, all new small vacuum lines, brakes front and rear( discs and pads) braided hoses front, couldn't change the rear( some piping to be done because they are rust welded), rust repairs on the rear wings. Lower control arm bushings and tie rods replaced. All by my self...NICE ONE

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,138 Posts
Fixed a rattle in the door of my convertible. I thought it was the regulator mounting screws coming loose but instead it was the top cable of the regulator smacking against the inside of the door frame. I examined the retaining clip - it was ok.

So I glued some automotive felt to the inside of the opening between the cable housing and the door. Was tough to get in there, but now the sound is gone!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Found source of recent DSC error and resolved steering wheel being off by 10 degrees from 2018 repairs. Though steering coupler has alignment splines, you can be off by a spline or two. Tinted windows with Suntek CXP (ceramic); real-world test in Texas heat coming shortly. Installed Panavise phone mount but unable to find holder in local areal; will order WixGear with flat, rectangular magnet. Replaced driver’s regulator with URO Premium (previous was BMW). Attempted to replace RR window regulator but wrong side (doh!); should have been LR. Fixed vaper barrier and added sound deadening while there. Car running really well; adding highway mileage soon. Ordered BMW mats and Liquid Moly flush and oil for next change.
Ran flawlessly across 900 miles and three states with luggage, family, and dogs. Smooth and effortless at 85mph and 95F. 119k miles on odometer. Minor steering vibration following alignment and front tire repair; tire balance suspected. Known repairs outstanding are headliner, front seat leathers and rear seat sound deadening. Pending unknowns are hard pipes, vanos and DISA rebuilds. Total cost of ownership over thirteen years has been $137/month (excluding oil and gas) with OEM parts and mostly DIY. Thanks Fanatics!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,138 Posts

I think with the FCP lifetime guarantee the value prop seems less compelling unless you are afraid of catastrophic failure.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,138 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Finally changed out the old VANOS seals and installed the anti-rattle rings from Beisan. I used their excellent write up and 50s kid as a guide. I've had the parts for two years just didn't have the proper tools (impact, vise, etc) and would put it off for more immediate needs. Having done the valve cover gasket before made it pretty straightforward. The most time consuming part was cleaning everything over and over like a lunatic. DO NOT SKIMP ON AN EXACTO KNIFE.

Two words after driving a very, very spirited 50 miles on the new seals in a very well maintained e46.

Wow. Wow.

43761 - 43780 of 43804 Posts