BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

40621 - 40640 of 43796 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
^maybe. i don't know though... that can't be good for the battery especially with power hungry filament bulbs. also things like trees, trash cans dont have lights. i'd rather alert someone to my body getting out of the car vs the car just sitting there. that's what insurance is for.

Dusty old British laws that no one really obeys anymore.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q386.htm

The bulbs would run at very low voltage and the dash lights obviously don’t come on either, which saves a little power.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here we go...

ECS Complete Performance Polyurethane Differential Bushing Set
OEM Right Tie Rod Assembly
OEM Left Tie Rod Assembly
OEM Trailing Arm Ball Joint(s)
OEM Rear Control Arm Bushing(s)
OEM Rear Lower Control Arm(s)
Polyurethane Trailing Arm Bushing(s)
OEM Rear Sway Bar End Link(s)
Performance Polyurethane Front Control Arm Bushing Set - With Brackets
Race Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushing - Front Position
Race Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushing - Rear Position Set
OEM Front Strut Mount(s)
OEM Rear Shock Mount(s)
OEM Rear Shock Mount Plate(s)
ECS Rear Urethane Trailing Arm Bushing Set
OEM Rear Brake Rotor(s)
Front Strut Assembly Bilstein B4(s)
Turner Rear Subframe/Chassis Reinforcement Kit
Valve Cover+Intake Boot & NGK Plugs
Power Steering Pump+Hoses+All Belts
Cooling System @112k, cars at 155k
OBX-R Catback Exhaust
Oil changes.. Duh

Trynna think of what else.... And yes I spend way to much on Lyda.

·
Registered
518 Posts
^maybe. i don't know though... that can't be good for the battery especially with power hungry filament bulbs. also things like trees, trash cans dont have lights. i'd rather alert someone to my body getting out of the car vs the car just sitting there. that's what insurance is for.
While I was skeptical of this before, I'm not now - whenever I park on a dark, not well-lit street, I flick my parking lights on. I probably wouldn't leave it running overnight, but several hours at a time seems to be no problem. Of course, this would be more useful to someone without reflectors, say on an M-Tech II bumper or something. I do it just for the added safety so nobody has an excuse to hit my car at night.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
While I was skeptical of this before, I'm not now - whenever I park on a dark, not well-lit street, I flick my parking lights on. I probably wouldn't leave it running overnight, but several hours at a time seems to be no problem. Of course, this would be more useful to someone without reflectors, say on an M-Tech II bumper or something. I do it just for the added safety so nobody has an excuse to hit my car at night.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app
When they're drunk it doesn't matter if you have lights on, have reflectors, or even which side of the street it is in relation to them. Or if they stopped at the stop sign 100' before the car. Trust me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Installed matte grilles and an aux retrofit. Tires are almost done so might consider new wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When will I see you at some meets up here? ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last week I got the new regulator and motor for the rear passenger window and did the replacement. I found a great tutorial video on YouTube and watched it a couple of times and went out and did the job. Worked like a charm and everything came out perfect. Front brakes are the next job.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Assembled my new rear shocks. Sent the fronts to the mechanic to assemble (spidey senses going haywire with my crap spring compressor).
Installed a usb charge port in the cigarette socket. Easy to do, 5 min with a dremel and wire stripper. I'll likely rewire it for switched power when I retrofit the M3 power seats into the wagon (manual seats).

Also did the fuel filter. Sandblasted and painted the cover panel... never ending battle to head off rust.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Notice any difference in performance after the filter change?

Assembled my new rear shocks. Sent the fronts to the mechanic to assemble (spidey senses going haywire with my crap spring compressor).
Installed a usb charge port in the cigarette socket. Easy to do, 5 min with a dremel and wire stripper. I'll likely rewire it for switched power when I retrofit the M3 power seats into the wagon (manual seats).

Also did the fuel filter. Sandblasted and painted the cover panel... never ending battle to head off rust.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Needed a roof rack this last weekend so I whipped one up. Thought I had a better picture of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using E46Fanatics mobile app
Is that aluminum? I'm impressed. Not the prettiest, but if it's cheap and functional, AND made from scratch, that always gets a thumbs up from me. Bonus points for already having the materials around the garage.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is that aluminum? I'm impressed. Not the prettiest, but if it's cheap and functional, AND made from scratch, that always gets a thumbs up from me. Bonus points for already having the materials around the garage.
Just regular steel. Oh god no its ugly as fuck. But it works great and will last forever. I didn't have enough time before hand to have a more aesthetic design. Other wise it would look slightly better. And yeah most of it laying around. Cost maybe 20 bucks for some random bits.

·
Registered
28,449 Posts
Needed a roof rack this last weekend so I whipped one up. Thought I had a better picture of it.

closeups where they bolt to the roof? like what fastener did you use. does it scratch it? whats protecting it? just curious

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got it running again today.

And I'm very pleased. Back in February, my wife's car (2001 330ci, manual transmission, 184K) overheated. The dealer gave a list of things to replace and repair. $5500 worth.

I decided to DIY it and go past what the dealer recommended. Repairs include:

• master refresh cooling kit
  • CCV valve
  • power steering hose
  • VANOS oil line
  • control arm bushings
  • front sway bar links
  • water inlet pipes & assorted hoses replaced
  • starter motor
  • several sensors
  • front windshield cowl
  • fuel filter
  • so many o-rings I lost count
  • oil filter & oil level sending sensor
I did several dopey things along the way like throwing away the plastic ring that connects the lower and upper intake boot. Did not realize I was supposed to keep that part. Also buying power steering fluid for the power steering instead of ATF fluid. So now I have two liters of power steering fluid that I'm not sure what to do with.

Had a moment of trepidation several days ago when fuel started spilling out of the injectors. Turns out the injectors were not fully seated in the fuel rail. I should have sensed something was wrong when I had trouble installing the engine cover.

I could not have done this project without the help of many E46 members and also without the many great videos posted on line. Thank you all and I will do my best to reciprocate in the future.

Now for the interior...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I'm at 81 miles and at nearly half a tank. Am I breaking some record? I put a fuel additive in but no different from any other tank. Seems to be going considerably quick....
OBC states an average speed of 20.6 MPH

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm at 81 miles and at nearly half a tank. Am I breaking some record? I put a fuel additive in but no different from any other tank. Seems to be going considerably quick....
OBC states an average speed of 20.6 MPH

seems like it's using a ton. I typically get 250miles a tank 80 city 20 highway. 350 a tank on road trips.

40621 - 40640 of 43796 Posts