·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E46 M3, 2010 LCI 335i Touring
5 Posts
thanks Overboost and doukas007. @doukas007 - it's a McLaren orange, I've forgotten the proper name for it. I figured it would make a nice contrast to my 18" Apex wheels that I need to fit at some point. I had them refinished in a satin bronze-ish colour. Going smaller to get a better ride because UK roads aren't great

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
328 Posts
thanks Overboost and doukas007. @doukas007 - it's a McLaren orange, I've forgotten the proper name for it. I figured it would make a nice contrast to my 18" Apex wheels that I need to fit at some point. I had them refinished in a satin bronze-ish colour. Going smaller to get a better ride because UK roads aren't great
View attachment 905654
Now I envy you more haha, apex ec8's are my dream wheels but I can't find them cheap enough here in Europe so I can buy them. Sweet wheels
As for the color, it may be papaya orange or Mandarin orange, the first I think is the color legendary McLaren f1 Lm is painted . Also good call on 18's

·
Registered
2004 E46 M3, 2010 LCI 335i Touring
5 Posts
Now I envy you more haha, apex ec8's are my dream wheels but I can't find them cheap enough here in Europe so I can buy them. Sweet wheels
As for the color, it may be papaya orange or Mandarin orange, the first I think is the color legendary McLaren f1 Lm is painted . Also good call on 18's
Mandarin orange that's the one! They have a forged version now and I already want those :D - I got mine from the US through these guys: Crest Automotive Tuning ([email protected] - Roy is a nice guy I've bought a bunch of parts from them)- gave me a good deal and he'll price match. Try them and see what they say they will ship anywhere.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
328 Posts
Mandarin orange that's the one! They have a forged version now and I already want those :D - I got mine from the US through these guys: Crest Automotive Tuning ([email protected] - Roy is a nice guy I've bought a bunch of parts from them)- gave me a good deal and he'll price match. Try them and see what they say they will ship anywhere.
Haha yeah I've seen the forged, sick wheels, with the side milling on the spokes. I'll check them out

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Took a stab at paint correction for the first time this weekend. My hood has always been heavily faded and oxidized so, after watching a few detailing videos, I grabbed a cheap dual action polisher from Harbor Freight and got a Mothers clay bar kit and a Meguiar's compounding and polish kit. It's definitely better than it was but there's room for improvement in my detailing skills... I think a little more aggression was needed as there's still some haze around the center of the hood.

First pic is before, second is a before/after once I did my first pass of compound, and third is the final product. I ultimately went back and compounded/polished everything again after my first pass.

I've been looking into body work and a full respray to take care of the many scratches/dents/and small rust spots around the car but I this improvement should hold me over... for now. We'll see if I can muster the motivation to get to the rest of the car in the meantime.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Took a stab at paint correction for the first time this weekend. My hood has always been heavily faded and oxidized so, after watching a few detailing videos, I grabbed a cheap dual action polisher from Harbor Freight and got a Mothers clay bar kit and a Meguiar's compounding and polish kit. It's definitely better than it was but there's room for improvement in my detailing skills... I think a little more aggression was needed as there's still some haze around the center of the hood.

First pic is before, second is a before/after once I did my first pass of compound, and third is the final product. I ultimately went back and compounded/polished everything again after my first pass.

I've been looking into body work and a full respray to take care of the many scratches/dents/and small rust spots around the car but I this improvement should hold me over... for now. We'll see if I can muster the motivation to get to the rest of the car in the meantime.
Nice work! Mine isn't oxidized like yours, but it is stone chipped to hell and back. I started clay barring mine yesterday and got the hood and fenders done. With all the chips, scratches, dings, and dents mine could really use a respray, too. Keeping it clean and shiny keeps it a pretty solid 10 footer, though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nice work! Mine isn't oxidized like yours, but it is stone chipped to hell and back. I started clay barring mine yesterday and got the hood and fenders done. With all the chips, scratches, dings, and dents mine could really use a respray, too. Keeping it clean and shiny keeps it a pretty solid 10 footer, though.
Thanks! Yeah I have some horrid rock chipping on mine as well (you can see them in the first two pics). Definitely a ten footer... but it's my ten footer and I love it hahah.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
So I'll post a post wash and nose job (clay bar/waxing) pic after discussing it. Was such a nice weekend I was good and spent more family time than car time, hence only getting the nose done.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
I cleaned my reusable mesh drop-in air filter.

I have a K&N and Green Filter sitting on my shelf but I've been using a "Auto dynasty" non-oil dry filter in my '01 330ci for the past 35k miles. They say it can go 50k at a time but i was curious how it was looking... It was as dirty as expected (sorry no pics).

I washed out with dishwashing fluid mixed with Purple Power spray cleaner. Brushed with clean sponge and ran cold water over until ran clean. Air dried in sun. K&N eat your heart out.

I'll prob clean after another 20k.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,226 Posts
I'll be polishing my roof soon, just finished wet sanding with 1200. I want to do that outside so I don't fling compound all over my garage and the weather is going to be spotty this week.:confused:

Installed the driver's door handle that I'd repainted recently, and the new lock cylinder so that I won't be locked out if my fob quits working.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Replaced both original pre cat O2 sensors at 109k today. Holy cow what a difference. My car wants to move forward at all times now.
Smoke tested the intake last week, after doing it the first time and not seeing anything but smoke coming through the crankcase I was certain I messed up somewhere.
Nope, did it again and it seems my methodical first teardown and reinstall of the intake has left me with no vaccum leaks :D
I'm at a fun time in my 4ish years of ownership; the last piece and I mean LAST piece of preventative maintenance I have yet to do is the VANOS. Now for that and the fun stuff.

43661 - 43680 of 43726 Posts