BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the wires that come with the lightbox are wayy too short. I have a 2002 325xi sedan and was able to mount the lightbox and get the halos to work by splicing into the fog light wire directly, but for the left side, the wires are too short. I bought 14 gauge wire from an automotive store, and tried connecting the wires from the lightbox to a piece of the 14gauge wire to the fog light wire. I grounded the other piece to an exposed bolt to test it, and voila! It doesn't work! Can someone help me resolve this issue? Is 14 gauge wire too thick? Did I splice the wrong wire? (I don't think I did) Someone help me! I want to finish the other half!

·
Manwhore
2,846 Posts
dunno if this helps or not... its kinda hard to see the wire in the pics... sorry.

this is the yellow wire... (dont mind the other wires in the pic)

this is where we mounted the box, if ya care. :D

Heres the other side, and no, the intake doesnt get in the way. :thumbup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
which yellow wire? the one at the bottom? or the one in the middle? On the right side I spliced the yellow wire w/ the brown stripe and it worked. On the other side I thought it didn't matter and spliced the blue wire w/ purple stripe because they're all part of the same bundle. I think that even if i spliced into the other wire and used the 14 gauge wire to connect the lightbox and wire, it still wouldn't work, since I tried it on the other side and it didn't work. Could it be the wire itself? Here's a very rough sketch of what I did.

Spliced wire-------14 gauge wire-------- + wire from lightbox

Sorry I don't have any pics to take. Do you have any pictures of your intermediate cable if you used one?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok I tried splicing into the yellow/brown wires, and still no sign of light when I turn on my fogs! Did I just get bad wire to connect the fog wires to the light box? I don't understand why it's not carrying the current to the light box. Should I try thinner wire? Someone please help! this wiring has been VERY frustrating.

Also, the right side that works seems to be dim...the fiberoptics all had mirror-like finishes when I installed them. should I try pushing them in further to the clips? The wires aren't bent at a funny angle either.

One more thing. When grounding the negative wire. do you attach it to an exposed metal, like a bolt? or wire it to the brown negative wire that goes to the foglights? or does it just not matter? this doesn't affect the brightness does it?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ok i'm assuming that on your right side (the side which is working), you tapped it to the foglight wire. The rings come on when the fogs turn on yes? If so, good. If you grounded it to a bolt, that is also good.

For the other side, simply try to replicate the same scenario as the right side. Tap it to the exact same colored wire. If the wire is too short, take the bulb and wiring out, and take it to your electronics store and ask them to match it. Tell them the bulb is a 35 watt bulb. I've no idea when it comes to 'wire gauge' or whatever.

Ground the other side also to an exposed bolt. If you ground it to the fog's negative, you will blow the fuse. You can tell when your foglights don't work anymore. For the passenger side there's a bolt at the back of the engine bay which u can unscrew/rescrew to secure the wire. Near the battery positive.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If the rings are dim make sure the fibre optics are pushed all the way into the rings.

Also try fiddling with the bulb position itself - might not be pushed down all the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts