E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want some opinons on how my shadow grilled looks...i want some honest opinons...i just did it today..it was very easy and saved myself money instead of buying it from a website..so let me know what you guys think..thanks

jorel

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I did the exact same thing yesterday.

On the picture, its hard to say how the job as such came out, but it looks good. :thumbup: To me though, the car seems a bit too black. Mine is too silvergray, so I'm trying to make it more black and tough to look at.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BMW_DK said:
I did the exact same thing yesterday.

On the picture, its hard to say how the job as such came out, but it looks good. :thumbup: To me though, the car seems a bit too black. Mine is too silvergray, so I'm trying to make it more black and tough to look at.

well thanks anyways...i probably take more pics tomorrow to show the work of it...thanks again for the response

jorel

·
Registered
507 Posts
What paint do you use, guys?
I wanted to do this quite awile ago, but could not find the right paint for it (my car is jet black, can you imagine it?) Stores like Autozone or Checkers sell only stuff for american cars and I'm afraid to be off color with my black, if that is possible at all :banghead:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Way better pictures :) It looks like a very clean job, that you have done. :thumbup:

Regarding my comments on black in black - forget them. I've since then seen some pics of black cars with black grille, and it looked awesome - kinda make me want to paint my car black :banghead:

As to invisibols question: You just have to seperate the crome part from the black part just inside the hood. Please be aware that there are tabs all around the grille, also in the back where you can't see them. Still very easy. Regarding the paint job, I can't help, since mine is kinda fake. Not knowing how I (and my wife) would like it, I simply used some very elastic black tape. You don't see unless you get up close, but of course not a permanent solution. So I would also be interested in knowing what kind of paint to use and how to getthe finish like that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
BLACK E46 said:
here are some more clear pics...

I think it looks great. Ive been thinking of doing the same or maybe one of those wire mesh type grills to try and make my car look different.

Anyone know where you'd get that type of grille :dunno:

·
Registered
45 Posts
how to remove grill

Guys, I haven't looked under the hood yet, but is it hard to remove the grill?

I know there are tabs around the grill, but what kind of tool did you use to help you remove it? Any tips? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the way i did it..was i just went to kragen or any car store and i just bought some spray paint for cars...all i did was buy some primer..primer up the chrome piece and sand it down alittle...just so that it can be smooth...i bought some flat black spray paint...and just did a couple coats of that and i also bought a clear coat spray paint..and then sprayed a couple coats of that...and just waited till it dryed off...it was very easy...thanks for the compliments again..

jorel

·
Registered
291 Posts
CivicRydr said:
Guys, I haven't looked under the hood yet, but is it hard to remove the grill?

I know there are tabs around the grill, but what kind of tool did you use to help you remove it? Any tips? Thanks in advance for the help.
When you open the hood, you'll see some crome tabs on the black part. Just insert a flat screwdriver between the crome and black parts and gently twist the two apart. Remember to get the 2 tabs in back as well - just feel where they are. The crome part you can then take out through the front and the black part through the back. It is very easy.

On the right grille you have the hood handle, so start with the left one since it is easier.

Don't mess with the black tabs though, that will get you nowhere other than into problem later :)

·
Registered
10,610 Posts
BMW_DK said:
When you open the hood, you'll see some crome tabs on the black part. Just insert a flat screwdriver between the crome and black parts and gently twist the two apart. Remember to get the 2 tabs in back as well - just feel where they are. The crome part you can then take out through the front and the black part through the back. It is very easy.

On the right grille you have the hood handle, so start with the left one since it is easier.

Don't mess with the black tabs though, that will get you nowhere other than into problem later :)
it took me forever to get hte grill off, this way didnt work, i just broke like 20 tabs.

i have a better idea. basically what you do is PUNCH the Grill out.
just use your palm and hit hte grill from the outside toward the engine. that worked for me. it doesnt break anything. this was on my 2000 sedan

·
Registered
796 Posts
BLACK E46 said:
well the way i did it..was i just went to kragen or any car store and i just bought some spray paint for cars...all i did was buy some primer..primer up the chrome piece and sand it down alittle...just so that it can be smooth...i bought some flat black spray paint...and just did a couple coats of that and i also bought a clear coat spray paint..and then sprayed a couple coats of that...and just waited till it dryed off...it was very easy...thanks for the compliments again..

jorel
How much did it all cost together?

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,155 Posts
Looks great, I've been wanting to paint the slats black on my car rather than the chrome surround...is this pretty easy to do? And without using the search function, where can I find the DIY for it? Thanks in advance for the help.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
InVisib0L said:
How much did it all cost together?

well..i bought 1 primer...2 flat blacks...2 clear coat gloss..and some sand paper..and it came out to like 30 bucks...but you can just buy practically buy one of everything instead of what i did...i only bought 2 of the black and clear coat is because i didnt know if i would have enough...but i still have some left over in the black and clear coat and i still have a full can of the black and clear...so it saves you some money instead of buying one...just pm me if you have any other questions..

jorel

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks very nice on both cars, my car is dark green I'm thinking to do the same is there brief discription how to do that
Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts