E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Encountered a problem today while changing the spark plugs on my 04' 330CI ZHP. All the other spark plugs came out fine except for cylinder #3 which is stuck. It takes a lot of force to barely get 1/4th a rotation in the right direction. I sprayed some WD-40 down there and tried again, which seemed to help at first until I just couldn't get the wrench to move at all. Also, it's hard to tell but it looks like the top part of the plug was broke off before I even tried to take it out. I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point, would warming the car up a little bit help? I don't think that would be a good idea though since I sprayed WD-40 on the plug...

Edit: Going to try spraying some PB blaster down there as well instead of WD-40.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Let the PB soak overnight. Who installed the old spark plugs? Was copper-based anti-seize applied to the threads? I know NGK sez that anti-seize isn't required but I put a very small dab of Wurth Copper Anti-seize on my plugs' threads.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I always use a tiny dab of anti-seize also.

It might be possible that the plug was cross threaded when it was put in originally?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to hear that it's out. Are the threads ok?

Misfire? Is it just a cylinder or multiple cylinders?

Threads are fine but it didn't resolve my cylinder 1 misfire. Swapped the coils and the misfire didn't follow. Not sure what to check next...

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Threads are fine but it didn't resolve my cylinder 1 misfire. Swapped the coils and the misfire didn't follow. Not sure what to check next...
Fuel pressure is next. There's Schraeder valve on the fuel rail. Easy 5 minute check. Needs to be at least 45psi at all rpms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts