E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past several days I’ve been having drivability problems with my 330ci.
at first it was cylinder 3 misfire. I took the coil pack and moved it to cylinder 2. The problem followed and I now had a cylinder 2 misfire. I replaced the coil pack and drivability was somewhat restored. It had a weird grinding sound from the engine compartment a few times, it is not the fan

it still had starting issues. It ran rough for 2 minutes and then smoothed out. I could then drive it on The highway at 70mph but could not floor it without a stumble.

so.....today I got it almost home from work. Had to have it towed because it finally just slowly went down in speed to the point where It was no start. It wouldn’t start at all.

my codes now were cylinder 1 2 3 misfire. I checked it out physically and the only thing I found was a massive tear in the upper intake boot right past the maf sensor. I find it weird a tear like that would only affect 3 cylinders......I’ll have the boot on order tonight. Let me know what you think

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like an exhaust issue. Failed O2 sensor, plugged cat, that sort of thing would be where I start. Scratch that, check your grounds on the coil loom. You DID just have it apart, right? Double check all the connections.

EDIT: Oil in the spark plug tubes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Swap your bank 1 sensor to bank 2 and see if the misfire follows the bank. You will have to drape the sensor lead across the engine in order for it to reach due to the leads being different lengths. Damn I still can't figure this mysterious misfire it only misfires when it's cold.and then it runs fine.
Download iMessage for PC

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,324 Posts
Read the lean code guide in my signature. You almost certainly have/had a vacuum leak, and you may also have fuel delivery and sensor issues.

Note that you can have a lean condition without codes.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only other codes I have are lambda control. I cleared the codes to see if new ones would come up but the car didn’t start again.

I could probably have started it today if I hadn’t messed with it but it has a 3” tear in the upper boot behind the maf sensor so we already have 1 known.

the other day it had a no start but after 20 minutes it started and got me home just fine.

I checked the fuel rail valve and there is pressure there. So it’s maybe spark

or it could be flooded. Vacuum leak tells o2 sensors to add gas. It’s just weird 123 cylinders and not random.

it has to be lean as it gets with that size hole.
I’m going to electrical tape it today until the boots arrive.

that grinding noise in the engine compartment can’t be ruled out.

·
Registered
2001 E46 330i Sedan
370 Posts
The only other codes I have are lambda control. I cleared the codes to see if new ones would come up but the car didn’t start again.

I could probably have started it today if I hadn’t messed with it but it has a 3” tear in the upper boot behind the maf sensor so we already have 1 known.

the other day it had a no start but after 20 minutes it started and got me home just fine.

I checked the fuel rail valve and there is pressure there. So it’s maybe spark

or it could be flooded. Vacuum leak tells o2 sensors to add gas. It’s just weird 123 cylinders and not random.

it has to be lean as it gets with that size hole.
I’m going to electrical tape it today until the boots arrive.

that grinding noise in the engine compartment can’t be ruled out.
Probably your O2 Sensor bank 1 is faulty - cylinders 1 2 3 are monitored by bank 1 O2 sensor.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so far I found multiple vacuum leaks in the upper intake, cracked vacuum caps on the back of the intake, And a torn ccv diaphragm With a cracked ccv valve cover hose. I’ll go ahead and fix those first and see what happens. if it starts ill start looking into the o2 sensors. The signal they make and the timing of when the o2 activates.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: for anyone that sees this and it may help out with future problems.
cylinder 3 has a misfire according to the code. I switched #2 coil pack with #3 and the problem followed to #2. I figured this would be an easy fix and 6 coil over plugs would be in order, to solve the problem. I also found a cracked upper intake boot, cracked vacuum lines, and a bad diaphragm inside the ccv housing. Keep in mind that 80,000 miles ago all this was changed.
once all 6 new coils and installed and the rest of the items fixed, I Drove the car and it drove fine with a little off the line hesitation. Keep in mind........with these cracked hoses and failed ccv. There was no codes other than a catalytic converter code....so we can’t say that those items caused the cylinder misfire.they didn’t..... hard to believe a disconnected ccv would throw no codes....but it didn’t.

it Was the first test run out and I felt whatever was causing he hesitation off the line... that could be easily solved and I would make it back home for repairs, usually items don’t hard fail.

after having it towed due to failure on the return trip. I checked the codes. I found 1,2,3 cylinder misfire. We talked about maybe a failed o2 sensor and with 80k on those I’m replacing both of those and the thermostat for the hell of it.

all of these problems were mainly caused by a soft failed fuel pump that finally hard failed and left me stranded in the interstate. The filter was new so I left that in.

on the interstate. I pressed the a schrader valve and......nothing. This valve is under the vanity cover On top of the engine. Which I had off due to blowby. Also keep in mind that you can rent a fuel pressure checker from the main parts houses.......but......it has to have the little adapter with it and a lot of times it doesn’t so you have to make sure that’s in the kit. I did formally check pressure later and there was none.

the ccv replacement completely fixed all the blow by I was having. On another note. This blow by cracked my valve cover. You could see it once the ccv and dip stick were releasing the pressure. It was a lot of pressure.... On a temporary fix......and I don’t recommend this. I unhooked the ccv and pulled the dip stick up 1“ to relive the pressure so I could temporarily drive the car. The blowby was putting so much pressure on the crank case, It was forcing oil onto the exhaust manifold and burning it.

so there you have it. fuel pump hard fail Caused cylinder 1,2,3 codes that made no sense and didn’t even point close to that sort of problem.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,324 Posts
cylinder 3 has a misfire according to the code. I switched #2 coil pack with #3 and the problem followed to #2. I figured this would be an easy fix and 6 coil over plugs would be in order, to solve the problem. I also found a cracked upper intake boot, cracked vacuum lines, and a bad diaphragm inside the ccv housing. Keep in mind that 80,000 miles ago all this was changed.
once all 6 new coils and installed and the rest of the items fixed, I Drove the car and it drove fine with a little off the line hesitation. Keep in mind........with these cracked hoses and failed ccv. There was no codes other than a catalytic converter code....so we can’t say that those items caused the cylinder misfire.they didn’t..... hard to believe a disconnected ccv would throw no codes....but it didn’t.

it Was the first test run out and I felt whatever was causing he hesitation off the line... that could be easily solved and I would make it back home for repairs, usually items don’t hard fail.

after having it towed due to failure on the return trip. I checked the codes. I found 1,2,3 cylinder misfire. We talked about maybe a failed o2 sensor and with 80k on those I’m replacing both of those and the thermostat for the hell of it.

all of these problems were mainly caused by a soft failed fuel pump that finally hard failed and left me stranded in the interstate. The filter was new so I left that in.

on the interstate. I pressed the a schrader valve and......nothing. This valve is under the vanity cover On top of the engine. Which I had off due to blowby. Also keep in mind that you can rent a fuel pressure checker from the main parts houses.......but......it has to have the little adapter with it and a lot of times it doesn’t so you have to make sure that’s in the kit. I did formally check pressure later and there was none.

the ccv replacement completely fixed all the blow by I was having. On another note. This blow by cracked my valve cover. You could see it once the ccv and dip stick were releasing the pressure. It was a lot of pressure.... On a temporary fix......and I don’t recommend this. I unhooked the ccv and pulled the dip stick up 1“ to relive the pressure so I could temporarily drive the car. The blowby was putting so much pressure on the crank case, It was forcing oil onto the exhaust manifold and burning it.

so there you have it. fuel pump hard fail Caused cylinder 1,2,3 codes that made no sense and didn’t even point close to that sort of problem.
By any chance, did you read the guide I referred to in post #5?

In my diagnostic process, checking the fuel pump is #1

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah. You covered it all there. Thats a really hood thread. That was part of the reason I checked it and the other things.

how does the fuel pump make 3 cylinders misfire and not intermittent one all 6 cylinders?

imwill add that the fuel pump lasted 203k miles. I partially think that was because I changed the filter often and it didn’t have to work as hard as one that didn’t have that on a regular basis. Of course that is pure conjecture

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,324 Posts
The longevity of fuel pumps is one of those triggering debates that I no longer care to engage in. Best is to keep an eye on fuel trims as ones e46 gets above 125k or 15 years and when they start going up (or if you have other driveability symptoms) just do diagnostics and repair when indicated.

I don't know why the banks trigger differently. The system is not rigorous - there are two precat o2 sensors, one maf, one throttle, six injectors, and two knock sensors. Bound to be a bit hodgy-podgy as a result.

·
Registered
121 Posts

I’m pretty much aiming at this being the cause of my newest issue. I need change the fpr/filter as I haven’t done that yet. Cylinders 1/2/3 are at the end of the rail, that’s why we get the Bank 1 codes and 1/2/3/random misfire codes when dealing with fuel flow. Wasn’t getting the code until BDawg helped me get real and fix my ABS. Until Saturday I was driving handicapped. Now I’m starving for fuel is what I’m thinking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts