E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to pull the trigger in the name of science and for those with Tan Interior ( easiest color to get dirty :banghead: )

I been ordering a lot sh*t on this site called Eastwood.com. They got some pretty cool stuff for DIY people. Among the searches I ran into this.

http://www.eastwood.com/light-buckskin-interior-paint-aerosol-12-oz-net.html

Renew or change the color of vinyl, leather, and plastic automotive interior and vinyl tops. Produces a coating that is flexible enough for seats. Abrasion and UV resistant enough for convertible and vinyl tops. Can even be used on carpets to freshen up the existing shade. This specially formulated coating matches FORD OEM specs for appearance, scuff resistance and overall durability. Each can covers about 6 square feet. For optimum results and adhesion use the (52366Z) Adhesion Promoter Aerosol before applying color. Colors shown are approximate.Due to the new regulations pertaining to paint recycling we are unable to ship this product to Alberta Canada at this time.
The name of the color alone turned me on. So I went ahead and purchased one can. Just to try and see if the color matches our E46 tan interior.

I did the center console and shifter boot which were in really bad condition.
All were done with 3 coats and I still had half a can left. It dries really quick and its hard to get drips with it and let me just say I am the drip king when it comes to painting! No drips on this DIY!

Photos Below.

Before
You can see where the leather has faded on the arm rest. (not dirty)

Shifter boot has also faded leather (not dirty)

After

Im going to be honest, the match isnt perfect but I mainly think its because the rest of the interior is dirty and grimy so the fresh looking paint doesn't match 100%. I would say it matches about 90%. I would imagine that this is the color it would look if the car was fresh out the factory but after 11 years the interior color tends to fade a bit.

Im happy with the results and I will be testing the longevity of this paint especially on the arm rest since I touch that every day. If it holds up well I will do the seats and door panels. But for that project I would also order the Adhesion Promoter they recommend.

What you guys think? :eeps:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
^ he said he want to test the durability of the product before doing it any further...

·
Registered
612 Posts
hows it hanging on so far?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.