E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard somewhere that you can buy a special paint and airbrush it on.. anyone hear anything? Thanks

·
Banned
1,223 Posts
here's something I did and worked great. Go to any Hobby store and pick up some of Pactra's brand polycarbonate paint. The color you'll look for is INDY SILVER. This paint is translucent, but use it lightly, until you cover up the amber. You should be able to hold the bulb up to a light and still see through it.

Also, if you don't have the amber bulbs and don't feel like purchasing them, the Translucent Amber bottle should be sitting there as well. It's in a bottle, just dip the bulb and let it dry, then cover with the Indy Silver. Works great.

·
Town Clown
14,627 Posts
If you do a search, you will find a number of threads on this topic.

The key - paint them with a LIGHT COAT.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Daverulz said:
I heard somewhere that you can buy a special paint and airbrush it on.. anyone hear anything? Thanks

You could airbrush it on, assuming you cut it properly so it still allows light to pass. You can also buy them all day long on eBay from my brother, the pics in his ad are of my 328i and his Acura Integra.

See his EBAY ad here

He makes them and then treats them at 365 degrees to 'bake' on the paint. Other people are trying to copy it but the paint comes right off with your fingernail. (It is difficult to get paint to stick to glass).

His process uses a high-heat (for ceramic) like paint. They cost TONS less the philips silvervison brand bulbs.

(notice in my AFTER children pic, I did NOT have SilverVision bulbs, this was BEFORE he started the business)

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
Re: Re: Custom Platinum Vision Bulbs

klangford said:

They cost TONS less the philips silvervison brand bulbs.

(notice in my AFTER children pic, I did NOT have SilverVision bulbs, this was BEFORE he started the business)
$10 difference to me wouldn't be considered "tons less".

i say just do it the right way and get the silvervisions. this translucent paint seem interesting though. it you decide on that, definitely post some pics.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Custom Platinum Vision Bulbs

StreetTrixE4six said:

$10 difference to me wouldn't be considered "tons less".

i say just do it the right way and get the silvervisions. this translucent paint seem interesting though. it you decide on that, definitely post some pics.
Philips brand Silvervision wsa $59 when I last shopped, his were 14. That a 400% price difference.....but I suppose it is a matter of perspective isn't it.

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Custom Platinum Vision Bulbs

klangford said:

Philips brand Silvervision wsa $59 when I last shopped, his were 14. That a 400% price difference.....but I suppose it is a matter of perspective isn't it.
holy crap! i got mine for $38! that's a rip :tsk:

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Custom Platinum Vision Bulbs

StreetTrixE4six said:

holy crap! i got mine for $38! that's a rip :tsk:
Wow! all 6 bulbs for $38, you did get a great deal, let us all know where you got that if you don't mind.

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
wait, his say $14 each, which is $28/pair. i paid $38/pair for the silvervisions. $38-$28=$10 :D

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
StreetTrixE4six said:
wait, his say $14 each, which is $28/pair. i paid $38/pair for the silvervisions. $38-$28=$10 :D
Read a little closer, it says $14 each PAIR!!! (2 bulbs) which is $7.00 per bulb.

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
sorry, my bad again. paid $19/pair for the silvervisions. $38 for the front and rears. $9.50/bulb

·
Town Clown
14,627 Posts
to get back to the original question -

There are HUNDREDS, if not thousands, of people that simply paint their bulbs on their own, and I'm talking about the various enthusiasts that drive different makes/models of cars besides BMW E46s.
For $5.00, you can very easily paint all 4 bulbs in the front and rear, as well as the 2 side markers.
Some may say it's "cheap" to do it yourself. Personally, I think it's smart. Why pay someone else to do it when I can do it myself, ESPECIALLY with something SO EASY.
Silvervisions for $40-$50, Ebay versions for $28 (+ $5 or $8 shipping) - I ended up doing mine for FREE (a friend had a full can of paint). Of everyone out there, perhaps the worst complaint I've heard is "I put the coat on too thick, my blinker is a little dim" and it seems only a small handful have had that issue.

I'll take the money I saved from being cheap/smart and spend it on a tank of gas any day.

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
mtnbound said:
to get back to the original question -

There are HUNDREDS, if not thousands, of people that simply paint their bulbs on their own, and I'm talking about the various enthusiasts that drive different makes/models of cars besides BMW E46s.
For $5.00, you can very easily paint all 4 bulbs in the front and rear, as well as the 2 side markers.
Some may say it's "cheap" to do it yourself. Personally, I think it's smart. Why pay someone else to do it when I can do it myself, ESPECIALLY with something SO EASY.
Silvervisions for $40-$50, Ebay versions for $28 (+ $5 or $8 shipping) - I ended up doing mine for FREE (a friend had a full can of paint). Of everyone out there, perhaps the worst complaint I've heard is "I put the coat on too thick, my blinker is a little dim" and it seems only a small handful have had that issue.

I'll take the money I saved from being cheap/smart and spend it on a tank of gas any day.
couldn't agree w/ you more. i don't like the look of the sprayed bulbs, but i wouldn't pay someone else for doing it for me.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I got a pair of LUKS for 30 bucks from the car and driver store I had platinum visions before and these are def better you can see a pic in my sig....

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Custom Platinum Vision Bulbs

klangford said:

Wow! all 6 bulbs for $38, you did get a great deal, let us all know where you got that if you don't mind.
couldn't remember where i got them from, but i found the website. i got them from www.group5motorsport.com. i ordered both pairs at the same time and they took off $1 on each pair. i know it's not much, but hey, it's something. $59 is a big rip though. last i checked, philipps didn't make a side wedge bulb. i don't know how long ago you checked the prices, but i got these about 9 months ago. so like i said, $10 isn't tons less.

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
BGReddy00 said:
I got a pair of LUKS for 30 bucks from the car and driver store I had platinum visions before and these are def better you can see a pic in my sig....
what are LUKS? never heard of them. got any more pics?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts