E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in mounting my Valentine1 with the remote display, but I want to use a mounting plate rather than the suction cups or visor clips. Does anyone know where to buy a mounting bracket? I was also thinking of mounting the V1 on the rear deck lid, right above the brake light so that it'll be in a good position, but not obscuring my view.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I'd think that it would be a lot less effective at picking up radar in front of you if you mounted it in the rear window.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't imagine that it would affect that adversely, since its only about 6 feet farther from the radar source if its ahead. Unless if the front headrests will block the signal, then it could be a problem.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Yeah, thinking about it my concern was more with laser but once they hit u with laser u're cooked anyways. Either way, sounds cool. Any idea how much it will be in the way in the rearview?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont' think it will, plus right above the rear brake light, will be the same height as the middle of the front windshield which is the optimal spot for forward sniffing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
hayaku88, consider this stealthy install: go to your local auto parts store or Best Buy and buy a CD holder that attaches to your sun visor, preferably one that a) is the full width of the visor and b) is not made of rigid material.

Use the visor clip provided with the V1 and clip it to the passenger visor, then put the CD holder "over" it, making sure that at least the front sensor is clear, and preferably also the rear (where the display is).

Follow the V1 install instructions here: http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_V1.htm

Instead use the V1 wired power socket and put it above the vanity light, running the power wire through the roof over to the center reading light area where the hot wire is detailed in the install.

Lastly, it's preferable that you get the remote display. Run the phone wire down the passenger window trim, across the dash under the dash trim, then mount it either in the instrument cluster, below the radio, or another location that you prefer.

I realize that's sketchy, but I've been meaning to write-up a DIY and haven't had time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
don't you have to have the v1 located underneath the blue tinting of the front window for best detection?

what i've done is use the cups to mount the v1 to the right of the rear view (this way it's really hard to see from the outside... and run the calbe up along the roof and down the a-pillar to the bottom lhs of the windsheild. in PA we have to put our yearly inspection/emissions stickers on the front windsheild. i stuck the remote display under those so it's impossible to see the display unit underneath the stickers from outside. unless someone sticks their head all the way in the car or is squatting at my head level they'd never be able to see the install.

i'll try and get pics up later on today

·
Registered
683 Posts
palooka666, yes, aware of the issue of the V1 having to be below the tint. As it works out, once it's clipped under the visor, it misses the tint just fine, plus, it's aimed "down" just the slightest bit, which only helps the situation. I need to take pics too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts