BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opening this thread to discuss, present, troubleshoot the aftermarket M56 caps that some members have produced, including my aluminum version. This is to also avoid getting lost in the M56 main thread, so lets keep this more oriented towards the caps :)

The aluminum cap as of today has been revised by machining the ceiling surface to allow more modulation of the aftermarket membrane (around 8-9mm) and to also allow it to sit higher in order not to seal the valve cover, causing pressure buildup. Before anything, is there a way to test this on a bench? My car is not stock at the moment and I really don't want to swap covers again!

Pics:

Machining has been increased:

https://youtu.be/O_k81QUbfQs

Original:

Original design/pics:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Opening this thread to discuss, present, troubleshoot the aftermarket M56 caps that some members have produced, including my aluminum version. This is to also avoid getting lost in the M56 main thread, so lets keep this more oriented towards the caps :)

The aluminum cap as of today has been revised by machining the ceiling surface to allow more modulation of the aftermarket membrane (around 8-9mm) and to also allow it to sit higher in order not to seal the valve cover, causing pressure buildup. Before anything, is there a way to test this on a bench? My car is not stock at the moment and I really don't want to swap covers again!

I still have mine (3) at the machine shop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did machining it again help with the vanos bmw membrane modulation? If so and everything works great with your car, I and others I imagine would be willing to send ours back for correction to fit the vanos bmw memebrane. I think it's clear cut that only the original bmw membrane one works with your current version of aluminum cap right now. Been following this thread closely to see when the answer will be the correct fix. I thank you for all your time and effort paraklas.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The machining does allow proper modulation with the russian membrane. As I am not running the stock system anymore, I can ship (on my expense) my prototype cap to anyone that was in the original group by to fully test it, if everything works, we can organize a return back for massive correction. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'd prefer to do the modification at a local machine shop. I purchased the aluminum cap to replace the OE membrane and the zeroCool 3d cap.

While I'd like to test it, my car is my DD and as such I'm not ready to give up the ZC cap until I can be confident that the aluminum cap can function as a permanent replacement with the russian membrane.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
The machining does allow proper modulation with the russian membrane. As I am not running the stock system anymore, I can ship (on my expense) my prototype cap to anyone that was in the original group by to fully test it, if everything works, we can organize a return back for massive correction. Thoughts?
I have not yet tried any of my caps, and I am not in urgent need of any of them. For me, I'll wait until the modified prototype is assured to be correct. Then I would like to have all 3 of them modified by the machinist that did the original fabrication. That is my preference.

On another totally different issue I am working on, I started looking for a machinist locally. I went to 4 of them and the lowest minimum I could find was $200, and that is not even guaranteeing that they will take on the work.

My continued thanks for your efforts, tenacity, and follow-up on this project!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll test it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
For the next order I will make it more streamlined as handling this via this forum PM system is not ideal ... I will setup a small form on my own website (www.argyrides.eu) so that I can get the relevant order info. I will also add DHL Express delivery for whoever is interested, option to also get the disk, disk only, etc. Once the site is up, we will get on the batch number #2 need a couple of days for this. ...
I dropped the valve cover (again) to the machinist, with the russian membrane this time and the aluminum caps (mine and one of the batch order) for re-machining. The objective is to allow a modulation of around 6-7mm with the russian membrane installed. ... I also have an idea, to machine a thread on the top cap (wrench section) to allow someone to install a screw cap and an o-ring in case the cap is going to be used membrane-less.
Tomorrow I'll get some updates from the machinist as to how we handle the membrane issue and I will make a new thread for M56 caps in general so that we don't clutter this one.
The aluminum cap as of today has been revised by machining the ceiling surface to allow more modulation of the aftermarket membrane (around 8-9mm) and to also allow it to sit higher in order not to seal the valve cover, causing pressure buildup.
thanks paraklas for your work on this. i'm sure there will be many more people interested in the second run, so it's a good idea to set up the process on your argyrides.eu website.

i think i just picked up the last russian membrane on ebay. but there may be more for sale at vanos-bmw.com. also nathan on youtube says the membrane from a mini or n54 will work?

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:thumbsup:
Shipped yesterday, so you should be receiving it end of this week or beginning of next. I am more anxious to see if this mod worked or not.

thanks paraklas for your work on this. i'm sure there will be many more people interested in the second run, so it's a good idea to set up the process on your argyrides.eu website.

i think i just picked up the last russian membrane on ebay. but there may be more for sale at vanos-bmw.com. also nathan on youtube says the membrane from a mini or n54 will work?
Nathan should do his checks better :) doesn't work unfortunately so we rely on aftermarket only.. If the modified cap works, I will set up a group buy and also address all of the 1st batch buyers that need to.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If the modified cap works, I will set up a group buy and also address all of the 1st batch buyers that need to.

You are a champion for helping this community out with this solution, hiccups happen and this is how they are resolved, very good work, I can’t wait for the group buy!

Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shipped yesterday, so you should be receiving it end of this week or beginning of next. I am more anxious to see if this mod worked or not.

I will let you know. Thanks, Paraklas!
Getting closer
13/10/2019 03:21 United States of America (the) ISC NEW YORK NY (USPS)

·
Registered
35 Posts
still very excited to hear the results of the test. Going to need my cap reworked or replaced eventually.. thought I would be able to use my factory membrane, but found a tear in it before installing... waiting to replace the valve cover until this is figured out. Just bought the Russian membrane. Hoping to hear what will be done soon! thanks again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although I own a cap from the first production run, I have yet to install mine. I can’t risk my only form of transportation until others tested it. I’m glad I did, and I can’t wait to see the fix. Paraklas, thank you for all your hard work to make this even possible in the first place! Can’t wait to put this pretty metal cap on :)

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I just picked it up from the post office.

Swapped mine out and checked vacuum at oil fill cap.

Idle test is good, will do more aggressive testing soon.

Thank you, paraklas
My continued thanks go out to omgwtf and paraklas! Looks like from the omgwtf videos the modifications are certainly promising. Great work! Let's all keep our fingers crossed that the long term tests go as well! Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts