BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all on the forums is running a custom forced induction e46? I know of a guy in St. Louis, and have heard of a few others, if you know anyone feel free to chime in.

-Jacob

·
58mm of Bliss
4,397 Posts
Who all on the forums is running a custom forced induction e46? I know of a guy in St. Louis, and have heard of a few others, if you know anyone feel free to chime in.

-Jacob
Define custom forced induction?

Non-kit hardware?

Non-kit tuning?

Use of aftermarket engine management?

Decals on your window?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was talking about people who have pretty much built their own kit with aftermarket engine software. I know fashionman has a custom turbo kit on his 330 and was making around 400hp, I was wondering if other people had success stories like this, I know it's a lot more work than just buying the kit and would probablly end up being more expensive than just buying one. Just looking for some info on success stories though.

·
58mm of Bliss
4,397 Posts
I was talking about people who have pretty much built their own kit with aftermarket engine software. I know fashionman has a custom turbo kit on his 330 and was making around 400hp, I was wondering if other people had success stories like this, I know it's a lot more work than just buying the kit and would probablly end up being more expensive than just buying one. Just looking for some info on success stories though.
I bet people are just waiting for me to give you a hard time, because I usually do on this topic, and there's a reason why, but you've asked a good question.

Guys, lets make a list for this forum:

1.) Kromex (Turbo)
2.) Shinobi (Turbo)
3.) MBenvo (Built SC)
4.) FastestM3 (Built SC+Nitrous)
5.) Jorge Saca (Built SC)
6.) TazaM3 (Built Turbo)
7.) Ritos530 (Built Turbo+Nitrous)
8.) PEI330Ci (Built Nitrous)
9.) Jacobs323i (Built Turbo)
10.) JimmyOberg (Turbo)
11.) 02PRUV (Built Turbo)
12.)
13.)
14.)
15.)

I know there are more that I've missed! (I've deliberately left a few off so they will chime in)

·
Registered
739 Posts
You forgot me Pei, and i was beginning to warm up to you even tho you would not answer my pm :( j/k i have a custom turbo set up with a built motor might even be trying ethanol as mn is the mecca we will see

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kinda numbers are the guys running Nitrous making? What shot of Nitrous are you using PEI? And what aftermarket engine management are you running? I am kinda surprised to see a list > 5, normally anytime a person asks questions about forced induction they get a response of not possible or buy from AA or ESS. And I thank you for actually answering my question instead of bouncing around it like most people.

-Jacob

·
Banned
511 Posts
A custom setup wouldn't be too hard if you permit use of an aftermarket EMS. Pectel or DTA S100, or MoTeC if you want to empty your pockets big. But seriously, these engines are all internal combustion engines - just need a system to interpret the triggers and control the valve timing if you wish to use it.

·
58mm of Bliss
4,397 Posts
You forgot me Pei, and i was beginning to warm up to you even tho you would not answer my pm :( j/k i have a custom turbo set up with a built motor might even be trying ethanol as mn is the mecca we will see
You will find people missing from that list that I email with almost daily. I did not forget you, glad you chimed in. ;)

What kinda numbers are the guys running Nitrous making? What shot of Nitrous are you using PEI? And what aftermarket engine management are you running? I am kinda surprised to see a list > 5, normally anytime a person asks questions about forced induction they get a response of not possible or buy from AA or ESS. And I thank you for actually answering my question instead of bouncing around it like most people.

-Jacob
#4 kinda disappeared after a flurry of posts at one point. I don't doubt what he claimed...but we never really got many details from him regarding the setup and power.

#7 has his car parked for a bit. (Still fully functional)

I ran a custom tuned DME with a piggyback controller on nitrous. I got up to about 425rwhp before I burned down my car. (Seriously, it was my mistake)

jacobs323i has the absolute best engine management solution of the whole list in my opinion. (Most ironically had a custom tuned DME) But it isn't cheap, and requires a good tuner to set up.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I'm running custom FI on my 330ci... Precision SC6262 and Link G4.

500rwhp and 640wnm @ 19PSI, Stock Engine.
Good ECU hey:thumbup:

E46 M3 Garrett T04Z VI-PEC V88

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I bet people are just waiting for me to give you a hard time, because I usually do on this topic, and there's a reason why, but you've asked a good question.

Guys, lets make a list for this forum:

1.) Kromex (Turbo)
2.) Shinobi (Turbo)
3.) MBenvo (Built SC)
4.) FastestM3 (Built SC+Nitrous)
5.) Jorge Saca (Built SC)
6.) TazaM3 (Built Turbo)
7.) Ritos530 (Built Turbo+Nitrous)
8.) PEI330Ci (Built Nitrous)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.)
14.)
15.)

I know there are more that I've missed! (I've deliberately left a few off so they will chime in)
Fixed

I have a HPF stage 2.5 kit :)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have looked at the whole process of piecing together the kit, like almost everyone else, it really isn't that hard to find the parts. As far as I have researched and everyone has told me, its all about the tune, and its not cheap to fix one of these engines if it is blown. This is no Honda of course. Is running a piggyback system 100% safe? How accurate are they with the Air/Fuel ratios and such? If worse comes to worse the engine will go BOOM. I understand the time and money that it requires to put into a custom kit and I am thinking about it, that is why I asked these questions. Everyone in the US who tunes the stock ecu charges a crap ton and I already looked into it, no in the UK on the other hand, I found a guy who could do it for a reasonable price, would just have to fly that mofo in. After I get everything layed out / pipes bent / custom oil pan and such, would it be a good idea to get a piggy back system running before I look into a hard tune?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Just get an aftermarket ECU that can control everything. All my DME does now is control the dash. FBW throttle and vanos is also controlled by the vipec

·
58mm of Bliss
4,397 Posts
I have looked at the whole process of piecing together the kit, like almost everyone else, it really isn't that hard to find the parts. As far as I have researched and everyone has told me, its all about the tune, and its not cheap to fix one of these engines if it is blown. This is no Honda of course. Is running a piggyback system 100% safe? How accurate are they with the Air/Fuel ratios and such? If worse comes to worse the engine will go BOOM. I understand the time and money that it requires to put into a custom kit and I am thinking about it, that is why I asked these questions. Everyone in the US who tunes the stock ecu charges a crap ton and I already looked into it, no in the UK on the other hand, I found a guy who could do it for a reasonable price, would just have to fly that mofo in. After I get everything layed out / pipes bent / custom oil pan and such, would it be a good idea to get a piggy back system running before I look into a hard tune?
How are you going to control 2 separate "banks" of cylinders in closed loop? This is a HUGE problem. Running a single turbo, means running a single exhaust, which means the DME will end up playing tug of war between the 2 banks to try meet AFR targets. Ah ha...and what are those targets? Probably different for N/A than for a turbo, but the DME doesn't know this, even with the piggyback hooked up, so it continues to try adapt to it's N/A AFR targets. Every one of the piggyback setups I know of have had part throttle drivability issues. WOT is easy to tune, idle and part throttle, VERY tough.

Think about the "tug of war" scenario above a little bit. One bank could be really lean, and the other could be really rich, and the DME could "think" that it's met the AFR target. Even worse, it will learn this and transfer it into the long term "trim" settings.

The solution is one that HPF and PPF use.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What brand would you guys suggest? I am not looking for something cheap that won't do the car justice, but I'm looking for something that is affordable and reliable. Does anyone have an opinion on aem? I have a friend that can get me a significant discount, I know a lot of guys with jap cars that use them, but those are also not BMWs, input please and thank you

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
A custom setup wouldn't be too hard if you permit use of an aftermarket EMS. Pectel or DTA S100, or MoTeC if you want to empty your pockets big. But seriously, these engines are all internal combustion engines - just need a system to interpret the triggers and control the valve timing if you wish to use it.
that pic in your sig is siiiiiiiick!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
What brand would you guys suggest? I am not looking for something cheap that won't do the car justice, but I'm looking for something that is affordable and reliable. Does anyone have an opinion on aem? I have a friend that can get me a significant discount, I know a lot of guys with *** cars that use them, but those are also not BMWs, input please and thank you
I've tried AEM and the ECU build quality was very disappointing. I would go with a VI-PEC. And buy chance they are a good price for what you get. AUD$2,500 and will do sequential 8 cylinders ignition, closed loop boost, individual cylinder knock sensing with 2 knock sensor inputs, 02 input onboard, fly by wire control, airflow meter support, Vanos control and because they have been installed on many BMW's VI-PEC have base maps for a lot of engine setups.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts