E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so be nice. I've designed some custom taillights that I'm going to build starting in a few weeks. I've attached a picture of the design.

The yellow is only the blinker. The center red will turn on for the brake. The outside red light will turn on with the running lights.

There are a few things I do need help and opinions about.

1. Since I'm using LED strip lights, what kind of resistor do I need to assure that the blinker doesn't blink super fast?

2. How can I defeat the error indicator for the rear lights and blinkers when the LED's are installed?

3. Are there any other problems I may run into by custom building and wiring this into my system.

Any answers help! When I start building, I'll post pics.

Thanks!

***before you guys ask or criticize, I have built similar things before just not for a BMW.***

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
I am not quite familiar with the more advanced aspects of car electrical systems but, have you considered coding the lighting module or even replacing it with a facelifted coupe one?
As a facelifted coupe, mine has full LED rear lights (only the reverse and fog lights are incandescent) and also front side turn signals are LED based.
Therefore I would presume it is quite easy to interchange such lighting or turn signal modules, between a sedan and a 2003+ coupe. For example, my turn signals are a mix of LED (side and rear) and incandescent bulbs (front). That means the modules are calibrated accordingly, to avoid any out of sync turn signals.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have built similar things before just not for a BMW
Really interested in this project, do you have any pics of your other work?

As for the errors/blinking, I think you have to just match the watt usage/resistance of the regular bulbs.

I have some 7 watt LED bulbs that do not give errors or blink fast and some 5 watt that do both...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Resistor to sensor circuit anyone?

My son's bimmer has led's in the rear:thumbup: Your design-build is SICK ! Wow, very nice look.:thumbsup: The resistor that I too have been tracking down, where, how and what value is getting close. This week's project to stop and pick up some different values.:idea: Starting first with the phillips "bmw" OEM bulb to measure the value in them. Then in speaking with the BMW tech manager, he actually has taken a shot at this with giving me this info. There is a "sensing wire" coming from the total "bundle" if you will.:eeps: He just didn't know what the wire color code was.:hmm: I hope to have time this week to chase that down; don't think it will be too difficult, I believe it will be a non-voltage, ground return type connection to the sensor circuit. :confused:
What are you going to charge for those sweet looking lights?:craig: I could be in! I too often look at (try to see behind) when backing out and wonder what time I'm going to run over something,:facepalm: so right now it's always a slow,slow back-up.:tsk:

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'd be concerned with total light output vs. the stock config. You don't want to get rear-ended because grandma couldn't see the brake lights. (This also applies to blacked out lights as well)

As for the bulb out warning: you could either use resistors in-line to trick the LCM into thinking that a regular bulb is there, or you could just code the LCM to accept the lights. There is tons of info on here on this particular subject. The search function is your friend.

If you do a precision job with high quality, bright, LEDs it will probably look good and give a modern touch to the E46.

Good Luck, I'm looking forward to see how they come out!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Um no. The simpler the better for an e46. I've always wished someone made an OEM looking tail light similar to the 01+ 5 series or even the lci e90.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts