E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya everyone!!! Alright, I've been thinking about this for a long time now, I'm designing and getting made a Full Custom CAI for my car with an integrated CDA box by BMC. I had the CDA box installed, and felt the power increase at night, but during the day it was worse because it was sucking hot air from the engine, because there wasn't enough space in the bay to make it do otherwise. So I'm getting made a full custom CAI, from the elbow attached to manifold, all the way down to the start of the intake. It's going to be mainly Stainless Steel, with some other various materials depending on the design I end up deciding on.

So I have done a cross section of the two piping designs I am looking at, as well as the proposed end result in the bay of a car similar to mine (it's not actually my car in the pic!!)

So this is Cross-section 1

Pros: Simple design, inner and outer stainless pipes for shielding, and High Temp insulation in between for low heat transfer. Stronger, sturdier design, also a simpler, more durable design.

Cons: More heat transfer than design two.

And this is Cross-Section 2

Pros: Next to no heat transfer, inner and outer stainless pipes for shielding, high temp insulation stuck to the inner of the outer and the outer of the inner pipes, with an gap of air in between, allowing for very little heat transfer.

Cons: A much more complex design, much more flimsy than design 1, more costly to manufacture.

So obviously there are many more cons to design two, but design two will have a much lower heat transfer than design 1

This is my proposed setup and layout for the intake.

Obviously I have slightly copied the OEM design, just made it a much more free flowing path, larger piping and a larger intake with a higher performance filter. Also added the insulation to allow a greater volume of air to pass through.

The custom design will be all stainless, the CDA box and the MAF Sensor will be shielded and insulated to a degree. Overall it will be an expensive project, but I reckon it should be well worth it.

Suggestions, ideas?? Oh and don't bother telling me it's gonna be expensive cuz I already know that!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Good write, looks to be pretty solid.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Comeon ppl I've got 100 views and only one reply :thumbdwn:

Don't be shy!! Post your opinions, thoughts, suggestions, ideas, excitement, exhilaration, disappointment, skepticism etc etc etc etc

:thumbsup:

OH BTW, heres a link to the BMC CDA box page, to fill you all in on what it is.

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/carbon-dynamic-airbox_prd_pr733_4_5.aspx

:excited: :woot:

·
Invalid User
10,503 Posts
i think you notice a bigger difference at night because the air is just colder at night. would changing that piping make the air any colder during the day?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Why not just buy ones. Wouldn't it be almost as much as buying a brand name one. After making everything look stock and like it should be there. Unless your making like one that goes on an integra, just a metal pipe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Seems like the steel will conduct the heat, how about a plastic or ceramic coating?

I am not sure you will get the gains to make the project worth the price...

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think you notice a bigger difference at night because the air is just colder at night. would changing that piping make the air any colder during the day?
It's supposed to shield from engine heat, so whatever comes off the engine and settles onto the pipes will be negated. Outside air however can't be helped.

Why not just buy ones. Wouldn't it be almost as much as buying a brand name one. After making everything look stock and like it should be there. Unless your making like one that goes on an integra, just a metal pipe.
Theres none that are fully insulated, let alone for my car as people don't usually do this to cars like mine.

Seems like the steel will conduct the heat, how about a plastic or ceramic coating?

I am not sure you will get the gains to make the project worth the price...
Gains/price argument, I agree with, but at the end of the day I'm not getting rid of the car any time soon, and I'm going to be doing the entire car up over time so, I figure if I'm going to do this, I may as well do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Well if it works for you and the price is right and it is a true cold air intake not a short ram. Then let us no i would like to make one or buy one from you.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if it works for you and the price is right and it is a true cold air intake not a short ram. Then let us no i would like to make one or buy one from you.
Mate, short rams are the biggest gimmick ever made. In all reality you lose power rather than gain it. This will be a true CAI, similar to the OEM setup (why am I not putting it lower you may ask? Cuz where I come from for 6 months of the year you drive through water, so to save Hydrolocking your engine, well stick it up a bit higher ;)

But yeah I will let you guys know how it goes, although it is a fair way down the track just yet, still in the development stage atm.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wouldn't you be able to receive some what similar heat dissipating effects by basing your design off of a typical aluminum tube with ceramic coating?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Short ram is no more or less a "gimmick" than cold air. Honestly for CAI I find the gains marginal (1% gain/loss per 11 degree chain in F temp) when you consider you have to extend additional tubing (increases turbulence/decreases velocity) and put it closer to the outside of the vehicle or near to the ground (yum, delicious road dirt/salt close to intake). Short ram has the bonus of less intake turbulence/path to take. Think blowing air through a straw.

But props to your ideas. I would say if you can ceramic or other non-heat-conducting material instead of steel, it would help.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wouldn't you be able to receive some what similar heat dissipating effects by basing your design off of a typical aluminum tube with ceramic coating?
Hmmmm, it will be something to look into ... although I don't know how much this "Ceramic Coating" will cost ... but Aluminum may end up being the better idea, as Stainless will be quite heavy ... especially with twin pipes.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Looks very good and i see you have put a lot of thought in the design of the tube. What's the ETA on the custom CAI?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
VHT makes a high heat ceramic coating I used it for my headers. You could do that its good up to 1200 degrees

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks very good and i see you have put a lot of thought in the design of the tube. What's the ETA on the custom CAI?
Not too sure just yet, a few months away at least just yet before we go into the construction phase ...

VHT makes a high heat ceramic coating I used it for my headers. You could do that its good up to 1200 degrees
Ahhhhh that sounds good ... I'll keep that one in mind ... was it a wrap or a spray, or did they have to do it themselves?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
How r ur EBC brake pads doing? I have been wanting to get a set for awhile but never new anyone with them how good are they under heavy breaking?

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Short ram is no more or less a "gimmick" than cold air. Honestly for CAI I find the gains marginal (1% gain/loss per 11 degree chain in F temp) when you consider you have to extend additional tubing (increases turbulence/decreases velocity) and put it closer to the outside of the vehicle or near to the ground (yum, delicious road dirt/salt close to intake). Short ram has the bonus of less intake turbulence/path to take. Think blowing air through a straw.

But props to your ideas. I would say if you can ceramic or other non-heat-conducting material instead of steel, it would help.
This is not true.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts