E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really can't stand suction cup phone mounts with wires hanging everywhere, especially the generic ones for phones that aren't popular enough for a specific mount. They look hideous, bounce around too much, block your view, and are easy to steal. So naturally I decided to build my own. Thought the DIY crowd would appreciate some pictures of what I have done. Let me know what you guys think.

I paired a Nokia CC-3065 Wireless Charging Cover for my Lumia 925 with the Nokia Wireless Charging Plate. Then I countersunk neodymium magnets into both the cover and the charging plate so that the phone would stay attached. I hardwired the power out the back of the charging plate to reduce the amount of space required for the charger. The Nokia DT-900 charger runs off 12volts so there is no need for power adaption. I connected it to the accessory circuit so that the phone could charge even when the car is off.

Next I removed the fins from the left central air vent, taped it up, and laid in fiberglass for a removable insert that fits perfectly. I hollowed it out a bit to allow a more vertical mounting position, glued the charger in place, and filled in the gaps with bondo. After a few hours of sanding with elbow grease, I finished it with black truck bed coating. That tip comes from MLust's Center Console Makeover, which as you can see works really well with the rest of my console. I mounted it into place with double sided 3M adhesive tape which makes for a solid connection that is still removable.

The nice thing about this mount is that it uses a Qi compatible charger and is not shaped specifically to my phone, so theoretically I can use this for any phone in the future that has wireless charging. Just add a case with neodymium magnets. Done.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looks great, but it kinda looks like the car is pitching a tent!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice work but without the phone there, it looks really weird.
I agree that it looks a bit odd, but I still think it looks better than a store bought mount. If it didn't stick up so high it would probably look nicer. Unfortunately I haven't seen any square Qi chargers, they're all rectangular and most larger than this Nokia one.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
What happens when your phone breaks or you upgrade it and the new one doesn't work with the setup? Or if the charging stand takes a crap? Its very creative but I would've mounted it somewhere that I didn't have to tear the car up. Did you take it all apart so that it could be put back together easily or did you actually break the vent to remove it?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What happens when your phone breaks or you upgrade it and the new one doesn't work with the setup? Or if the charging stand takes a crap? Its very creative but I would've mounted it somewhere that I didn't have to tear the car up. Did you take it all apart so that it could be put back together easily or did you actually break the vent to remove it?
After thinking about your concerns for a while, the vent is actually the ideal location for a built-in wireless charging based dock in the center console without ruining the car. As previously mentioned a used or new vent is easily purchased and replaced by removing the trim panel and two screws securing it in place, and it is the only location that has the space to support a vertically mounted phone without interfering with anything else while still being able to easily interact with it. I still have three operational vents: left, right, and center.

One might build a wired mount similar to a DICE iPod kit in the ash tray for various phone types, but that would be far less adaptable to different phones for future upgrades. iPhones have two types of connectors now (and I won't be using an iPhone again anyway); Android and other phones use mainly the micro USB port but it's very consistently in a different location between different models (side, top, bottom, offset center). This was the whole reason for going the Qi wireless charging with neodymium magnets route. It is the most adaptable solution to various phone models, shapes, and sizes. Cases are sold for every phone model and wireless charging will obviously be kept in mind when I purchase a new phone in a year or two. More and more phones are supporting this feature, and many that don't have it are hacked to add it anyway. I can't picture a scenario where I won't be able to make this work with a new phone.

In addition to wired mount problems, the ashtray position would be ok but not ideal if you want to see the screen well and interact with it. The shifter gets in the way from the front and the sunglasses tray could not be opened if the ashtray was holding a phone vertically. Also, my ash tray is already taken :)

I could build a mount near the rear of the console in the cup holder, a euro tray, or inside the arm rest, but that would be less useful to me since I like my cup holder and the armrest would hide the phone from view. It is currently in a perfect spot for mapping/navigation and music/phone control.

The only other position for this type of mount would be on the dash above the vents. Mounting in that location WOULD tear up the car though, and could not be easily or cheaply replaced.

Long story short: I have actually chosen the ideal location for this mod while still accounting for your concerns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.