E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll throw this out and see if you have any brilliant ideas. My kids are complaining wildly there are no cupholders for the rear seats on my 2002 330i. I've been online looking for aftermarket solutions and only can find solutions for the 5-series sedans and up.

Has anyone solved this by fabricating cupholders? Any leads on an aftermarket offering? We live in a very warm climate and staying hydrated is pretty important.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I too would like to find a solution to this dilemma! I thought that I had seen that some cars have cup holders in the armrest that slide out from underneath when the armrest is down...I dont remember which model it was but it would be nice if BMW could have done that for the 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The E36 3 series used to have the cupholders that slide out from the rear armrest. (At least my 1997 328i did).

I don't know why when they decided to implement the E46s they removed this feature, as it was really nice to put your cups in when driving (I never had passengers in the back).

·
Registered
1 Posts
The first thought was because the Kleenex box was always on the rear floor out of reach. I too wanted rear seat cup holders. I investigated modding the rear center armrest like the 'Factory' one but ouch $$$. So I did this as gift to the wife (and myself). Got about $50 in it. Tissue box cover, 2 cupholders, and 2 attempts at getting the paint to match as best I could. Sems @ $10-12 a can.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x97/Drifttool/IM000297.jpg

·
Registered
240 Posts
^^ that looks pretty good. For some reason I never really need kleenex in my car, but if I ever do I might just have to do that mod.

As far as the cup holders go, I would love to get another set of holders from the front of our cars and try to put them in the rear arm rest somehow. I really like how well they hold drinks and so if your already going through the troubles of installing something, you might as well install the thing that will work the best. That being said anything would be better than the nothing we have now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To close out this thread, I wanted to report back on how I approached the problem. I found an aftermarket product online that seemed to come closest to a good solution. I purchsed two collapsable/folding cup holders from Ultimate Cupholders (http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html). These units are made in Europe by a firm that does a lot of OEM work for car manufacturers there. They came with mounting brackets and all the hardware needed.

Here is a picture of the two units with "L" brackets installed. (picture on left)

By simply loosening the mounting screws for the rear ash tray and rear center console mounts, I was able to slip the "L" brackets under the console. Once everything was tightened up, the cup holders were secure and functional.

Below are two photos of the installed solution - one with the cup holders folded up and the other with the holders fully extended. (picture in the middle and on the right)

The kids are happy. I'm happy... and the probability of spillage has gone down dramatically.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.