E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ey just got csl wheels fitted and was winer is the rim ment to stick out a bit. Basically I'm saying the tire doesn't go around the whole rim the rim is ticking out instead of the tire cover over the top. My uncle said it's not right so I'm getting them change for free so just wanted to see if it is actually wrong fitted tyres for the rim

·
Registered
681 Posts
sounds like you've got some of that euro stretch thing going on....

There is a margin for what size widths you can run on any given rim size. If you run the narrower end of the scale, you get that stretched look (like you're describing), if you go the wider tyres, they will line up over the edge of the rims (but you may scrub on suspension components or fenders if you've got really wide rims.)

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
que?

u using iPhone... coz that sh1t dosnt make sense...

Whats the width of the rim? what size tyres have u got?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
as mentioned above... each size rim has a scale of tyres that can fit on it... the lower down the scale you go the more they stretch.. the higher up the more the tyres are in line with the rim (or sometimes bubble over). Sounds to me like you have purchaced tyres down the lower end of the scale, therefore makes them stretch.. i think it looks awesom and prefer it tyres fitted in the middle of the spectrum... there is a massive market for this kind of stuff in the euro scene.... i think your uncle is just stuck in a bit of a time warp thats all ;) .... if i was you i wouldnt change it.. on my old car my tyres were fitted normally (no stretch) and i regretted it the whole time i owned that car!

downside of having stretched tyres is when you get close to a gutter the first thing that hits is the rims not the tyres :( ... other than that they look good IMO.... so basically get stretched tyres and make sure you park and drive well haha

gl!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
as mentioned above... each size rim has a scale of tyres that can fit on it... the lower down the scale you go the more they stretch.. the higher up the more the tyres are in line with the rim (or sometimes bubble over). Sounds to me like you have purchaced tyres down the lower end of the scale, therefore makes them stretch.. i think it looks awesom and prefer it tyres fitted in the middle of the spectrum... there is a massive market for this kind of stuff in the euro scene.... i think your uncle is just stuck in a bit of a time warp thats all ;) .... if i was you i wouldnt change it.. on my old car my tyres were fitted normally (no stretch) and i regretted it the whole time i owned that car!

downside of having stretched tyres is when you get close to a gutter the first thing that hits is the rims not the tyres :( ... other than that they look good IMO.... so basically get stretched tyres and make sure you park and drive well haha

gl!
well said

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
There is no point running stretch if u dont need to though...

u also dont want to muck up ur rolling diameter or else ur speed reading/odo will be wrong..

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
how would stretching the tyres muck up the rolling diamater? yeah it will change the tyre width but not its diamater

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
the ONLY valid reason to use stretched tyres is for drifting.... stretched tyres have a harder sidewall = less flex = more car control.

get rims with an offset that suits and put the widest possible tyres on there.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
the ONLY valid reason to use stretched tyres is for drifting.... stretched tyres have a harder sidewall = less flex = more car control.

get rims with an offset that suits and put the widest possible tyres on there.
nothing wrong with doing it because you prefer the way it looks rather than the bubble look from oversized tyres... or also doing it to help reduce rubbing from wider rims

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
nothing is wrong with that..you can still drive them like that. it just depends if you like the look..
mine is more stretched than that

edit:
also depends on what brand tyres they are.
some are made with a wider profile than others..
my toyos 225/35/19 were way smaller than my kumho 225/35/19s

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
nothing wrong with doing it because you prefer the way it looks rather than the bubble look from oversized tyres... or also doing it to help reduce rubbing from wider rims

No wonder you've got stretch with only 245's on a 9.5" rim, I'd be going 255's at least for that size rim if you don't like the stretch look.

theres a happy median though...

anyway, its all about preference i guess.. i used to have mildly stretched tyres with my airbag setup on the bmw to fit the tyres right up in the guards and hated the look, let alone the lack of grip.

i much prefer fat tyres now..... on the front of my other car ive got 275s on a 9 inch and 315 on an 11 inch for the rear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts