BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here done this to their E46? I think it would be a cool feature, but I am not really sure where the sensor is located and I am interested to know if we can to this to our cars.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Got any pix of the CSL setup? There are plenty of DIY's to add VDO gauges for oil, water temp, etc. Might look more OEM than the VDO setup.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Got any pix of the CSL setup? There are plenty of DIY's to add VDO gauges for oil, water temp, etc. Might look more OEM than the VDO setup.
I've only got a picture of my attempt to hack it onto my car - I've read that it takes something like 50-100 miles for the car to calibrate itself to the level sensor's readings, so I'm going to give it a couple days.

It doesn't read the absolute level either. It reads anywhere from "0.0L" to "+1.1L". 0.0 is supposed to correspond to the "minimum" mark on the dipstick, and 1.1 is suppose to correspond to slightly overfilled.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Open hood. Remove dipstick. Save money. Never breaks.
Not like I'm spending money on getting it to work. I don't check my dipstick everyday - and since my car has yet to burn a drop of oil, I get rather lazy about checking the dipstick. With the electronic measurement, theoretically I'll know if I'm running low even while I'm driving.

Also fwiw, the reason the CSL has the electronic measurement in the first place is because the intake blocks the dipstick in those cars.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wonder if the CSL cluster has a different part number and reads a bit in the ecu when you select that page... or its possible the CSL tune just has that enabled. You could start with a part number search. Our cars are interesting with the can-bus modules and how they share data.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I wonder if the CSL cluster has a different part number and reads a bit in the ecu when you select that page... or its possible the CSL tune just has that enabled. You could start with a part number search. Our cars are interesting with the can-bus modules and how they share data.
Clusters are the same, oil level/temp sensors are the same. The CSL has two different modes for checking the oil level - one's a long-term read where it collects data over a long time to check. The other's a "quick read" which is supposed to be activated by letting the engine idle for a couple minutes and then pressing/holding the sport button.

The "quick read" doesn't work for me - I think that needs to be enabled in the DME. The long-read might work, but I need to drive more before I can be sure.

I'm not sure if it's possible to enable the feature on the non-M.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,730 Posts
I've only got a picture of my attempt to hack it onto my car - I've read that it takes something like 50-100 miles for the car to calibrate itself to the level sensor's readings, so I'm going to give it a couple days.

It doesn't read the absolute level either. It reads anywhere from "0.0L" to "+1.1L". 0.0 is supposed to correspond to the "minimum" mark on the dipstick, and 1.1 is suppose to correspond to slightly overfilled.
:excited: wow that would be pretty cool. i have to say you are very good with the software tricks on our cars :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Hopefully terraphantm or someone like EVOLVE can get this to work on our cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts