BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - Wondering where everyone else has put their crossover boxes for component speakers in the front door.

I have a coupe and wanted to know where everyone else put them - struggling to see where I can fit it....and not too keen on cutting holes......

Love to hear/see what everyone else has done....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Actually, crossover location IMO depends on what you want to do and what type of component system you car came with:

- if you are staying with the same component system (2-way or 3-way) as the car came from factory and your system is HiFi/Top HiFi then placing the crossovers in the trunk is the best location, as all the individual wiring is there in the amp connector.

- if you are upgrading from a 2-way to a 3-way, or your system is basic (not HiFi) then installing the crossovers in the doors is the best location, as you will not have to add any wiring thru the door to connect that extra driver. Using the woofer wiring as the main input you could place that crossover in the door and then connect the other two drivers with custom wiring direct from it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um the setup will be just replacing the front speakers with better splits and putting in a new amp.....still oem head unit.....

I've seen some setups where the crossover is in the boot but would that mean i can't use the existing wiring and i would have to run an extra wire through the whole car again?

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Um the setup will be just replacing the front speakers with better splits and putting in a new amp.....still oem head unit.....

I've seen some setups where the crossover is in the boot but would that mean i can't use the existing wiring and i would have to run an extra wire through the whole car again?
If you only have one set of wires going into the door, then you are stuck with the door loaction, which is not very "friendly" to crossovers because of moisture and vibration. Just find a place to mount it that ios out of the way, won't rattle, won't get in the way of the airbag deplying and is protected by the moisture barrier.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well it depends what component system you have. Some companies offer tweeter attenuation on their crossovers (either by using jumpers or connections you can arrange to select + or - dB). If you plan to tune your system using these then obviously don't put them in the door. Also, moisture and water eventually gets in the door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts