E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a search but I didn't find anything :(

Has anyone towed their M3 on a trailer during a move? Will a C/K-1500 or an F-150 tow an M3 on a trailer? Or would I need a C/K-2500 or F-250? Would an old Bronco or a K5 Blazer do the job? I had a 94 Explorer v6 years ago and I KNOW it wouldn't be up to the task.

I am in the military and will eventually have to make a cross-country move with my M3 but I want to tow it on a trailer when I do. I am already looking for a foul-weather vehicle (probably a 4x4 pickup or SUV) to keep the wear and tear off the M3. I want to be sure that whatever I get is capable of doing the job of hauling the M.

Also, I was looking at U-Haul and others about their trailer renting policies and I noticed that U-Haul seems to have the least restrictions. According to the Penske site, you can't load a car with larger than 17" tires on their trailers :hmm: Does anyone know why this is?

Does anyone own their own trailer? Is it open or enclosed? How much should one expect to pay for such a trailer and who makes/sells them?

In the event that a trailer isn't the way to go, how much would I have to expect to pay to get the car transported from Arizona to DC or Boston?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

EHS

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
what ever u do dont tow, use flat bed. towing with front wheels lifted and rear wheels on the ground will mess up the tranny.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys!

I would NEVER tow on a dolly... ONLY with a full trailer. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that before.

Please keep the advice and responses coming.

EHS

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
This might be off base, but,

Have you checked with a dealership that you trust near you that uses companies to transport vehicles? They might know of a few companies. Then you could have it transported to a dealership in the DC or Boston area.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I ship and haul all the time.

Covered transport aprox $1.15 per mile
Open transport aprox .60-$.80 and who knows when your car will show up. Don't do it.

18' Open steel trailer aprox $2K out the door and a 3/4 ton will do OK as a tow vehicle. Add $100 for tie downs. You can sell it at the other end for about 80% of purchase price.

Enclosed 20'-24' a whole differant league. Almost need a diesel if you are in the mountains and the trailer will cost $6K to $25K.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who sells open trailers? I can start looking on ebay, of course. Would I go to uhaul or something and ask them if they sell trailers?

Please forgive my ignorance. I haven't ever needed a trailer before and I have been outside the US for several years now. I am looking forward to coming home.

Thanks again for the help, everyone!

EHS

·
Registered
168 Posts
Aiblinger said:
Who sells open trailers? I can start looking on ebay, of course. Would I go to uhaul or something and ask them if they sell trailers?

EHS
Many ways to source a trailer. A couple of easy ones:

Go to a dragstrip and ask
Ask the guys who track spec miatas in your area

An 18' open trailer will weigh about 1700lbs + 3800lbs for the car. You'll need a receiver type Class IIV or greater hitch and a 7pin connector for the electrics with a brake controller. You sure you're up for this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Sweat!

BoulderM3 said:
An 18' open trailer will weigh about 1700lbs + 3800lbs for the car. You'll need a receiver type Class IIV or greater hitch and a 7pin connector for the electrics with a brake controller. You sure you're up for this?

I have a CDL and I am no stranger to driving with trailers. I have just never set myself up with a tow vehicle and trailer of my own... I have always driven either commercial equipment or military equipment with trailers.

I think doing this right with my own truck and trailer will be better than renting and hauling with uhaul crap. Also, I do still want a secondary vehicle for bad weather to keep me from trashing the M3. I will also want to maintain the ability to haul the M3 as long as I am still in the military.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts