E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hm .. i dont how to describe sound but it is very similar to cricket sound cricket sound when the clutch is released. there is no difference if it is in neutral or in 1,2...5 speed .. + clutch pedal is pulsating/vibrating , frequency depends on RPM...

When i press clutch a little , sound goes away.

330i with 5 manual gears, clutch have cca 10.000 km

·
Registered
217 Posts
Possible throw out bearing, that is what it sounds like.

Is it a ZHP? I know they have a similar noise because of the lighter flywheel, mine has made that rattling noise forever. When I had it at the dealer for warranty work they said it was normal...

But it might be a good place to start looking (throw out bearing)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is not ZHP it is European version of 330i

Throw out bearing - that is what is think also, but wonna see what other says.
I think i have flywheels problem also, car is shaking/vibrating when starting...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the exact same problem (2000 328i 5sp Auto). I remember going to the dealer and having them look at it, and the problem was either the pulley-belt-tensioner or the pulley, the belt, and the tensioner (can't remember which). For me, it would come on when the car was idling, but when I had it say in neutral or drive and revved it above about 1100 rpms, the noise would go away. It was annoying to me, but I also didn't want my car to seem junky. The dealer said that the safety impact was minimal, although there was a very unlikely chance that the power steering could fail randomly. It cost me about $600 to fix, worth it IMO.

As far as the shaking thing, I also have that during the winter with a cold startup. I don't know if this is what you're having, but for me I'm 99% sure it's the notorious vanos issue. It would shake when the RPMs dropped when idling, and one time it even died out on me :( .

Good luck!

·
Just Nuts
7,245 Posts
The metal plate in front of the throw out bearing is partially in contact with the clutch finger springs. The noise is the result of the fingers impacting the plate at an angle as these rotate. I get the noise occasionally going round corners on cold starts in cold weather. I never worked out what the mechanism is for the throw out bearing to withdraw from the finger springs. Whatever that mechanism is, it is losing strength over time.

There is nothing wrong with the clutch. Apart from the embarrassment element, the throw out bearing is ok too, though not perfect. To save money, you can just live with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the exact same problem (2000 328i 5sp Auto). I remember going to the dealer and having them look at it, and the problem was either the pulley-belt-tensioner or the pulley, the belt, and the tensioner (can't remember which). For me, it would come on when the car was idling, but when I had it say in neutral or drive and revved it above about 1100 rpms, the noise would go away. It was annoying to me, but I also didn't want my car to seem junky. The dealer said that the safety impact was minimal, although there was a very unlikely chance that the power steering could fail randomly. It cost me about $600 to fix, worth it IMO.

As far as the shaking thing, I also have that during the winter with a cold startup. I don't know if this is what you're having, but for me I'm 99% sure it's the notorious vanos issue. It would shake when the RPMs dropped when idling, and one time it even died out on me :( .

Good luck!

nope it is not same, my prbl. is from clutch/flywheels/bearings

The metal plate in front of the throw out bearing is partially in contact with the clutch finger springs. The noise is the result of the fingers impacting the plate at an angle as these rotate. I get the noise occasionally going round corners on cold starts in cold weather. I never worked out what the mechanism is for the throw out bearing to withdraw from the finger springs. Whatever that mechanism is, it is losing strength over time.

There is nothing wrong with the clutch. Apart from the embarrassment element, the throw out bearing is ok too, though not perfect. To save money, you can just live with it.
I know the clutch is OK, but it is annoying me, especialy when driving near some wall, then it is hearing like hell

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
i think there are crickets living in your clutch... did you park near a grassy field recently?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I believe I have the same issue, and HAD the same issue with my E36. My personal issue is with the throw out bearing so more than likely it's probably the same thing, but as long as you're being nice to your clutch it'll last for a bit longer (like mine has). Hopefully you'll have someone take a look at it to replace it or just leave it until it breaks, then replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts