BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. here's the DIY for the cricket/electric buzz behind the dashboard (driver's side) culprit is an air blower that feeds cabin temperature air into an electronic cluster across the firewall.. this blower works at all times with the A/C either on or off.. blower is on as long as the key is on the second position, so after 80k miles of use or such, the blower begins to loose it's balance and the blower itself begins to scratch the plastic housing hence creating the chirp/cricket/buzz sounds behind the dashboard on the driver's side.. so I found the blower, took it apart, and greased it but all it did was hide the noise for a couple of days.. no good! :thumbdwn:

To fix this problem you will need the following description and part number from the dealership:
BLOWER WITH COVER PART NO. 12-14-1-437-454. Cost $70.00.

It takes approx. 30 mins to change and the following tools:
a hexagonal tool set and a phillips screw driver.

STEP 1: remove the plastic cover just above the pedals..

JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER REMOVE THE PIN
COMPLETY OFF THE FASTENER..
IF U PULL THE FASTENER WITH THE PIN INSIDE IT WILL BREAK!!!

STEP 2: remove the 3 screws from the blower.. yes this is the culprit to the cricket noise!!.. which dealer could never find..
Warning! once blower is free.. is NOT!..
DO NOT PULL ON IT!! it's not yet free from the electric connection..

STEP 3: open hood.. head out to the front of the car.. find the electric box and remove the 4 hex screws, then remove the plastic cover..

STEP 4: Where my index finger is, in the back of the box you will see the connector to the blower slide it off (after releasing the safety clip it slides down not up...) Then disconnect the blower and retrieve it from the inside..

STEP 6: get replacement, connect it.. and place everything back!! :woot:

Hope this helps and enjoy u'r cricket free car!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(don't know what happened to the pics.. let's try again)
Ok.. here's the DIY for the cricket/electric buzz behind the dashboard (driver's side) culprit was the fan. You will need the following description and part number from the dealership: BLOWER WITH COVER PART NO. 12-14-1-437-454. Cost $70.00. It takes approx. 30 mins to change and you will need the following tools a hexagonal tool set and a phillips screw driver.

Here we go.. STEP 1: remove the plastic cover just above the pedals..

JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER REMOVE THE PIN
COMPLETY OFF THE FASTENER..
IF U PULL THE FASTENER WITH THE PIN INSIDE IT WILL BREAK!!!

STEP 2: remove the 3 screws from the blower.. yes this is the culprit to the cricket noise!!.. which dealer could never find..
Warning! once blower is free.. it's NOT!..
DO NOT PULL ON IT!! it's not yet free from the electric connection..

STEP 3: open hood.. head out to the front of the car.. find the electric box and remove the 4 hex screws, then remove the plastic cover..

STEP 4: Where my index finger is, in the back of the box you will see the connector to the blower slide it off (after releasing the safety clip it slides down not up...) Then disconnect the blower and retrieve it from the inside..

STEP 6: get replacement, connect it.. and place everything back!!

Hope this helps and enjoy u'r cricket free car!! :woot:

·
Registered
504 Posts
The vent hole is where I ran my DDE remote wire. I was wondering what the hole was for - now I know. :thumbup:

What happened to Step 5?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 6... typo meant 5.. anywho.. you will also find the pic. with the opened electrical box in the "general forum" if you search for "cricket dashboard".. somehow it got messed up on this thread..

·
Registered
30 Posts
How do u remove the pin? it's stuck in there
Take a flathead screwdriver and begin to pry it slowly. Once it's pulled out a little, use a pair of pliers to grip the head and pull it out. the first time i did it was stuck in real good too and you just have to work it slowly. If it's still stuck, try a squirt or two of silicone lubricant or something. good luck!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have wondered for the longest time where that same "cricket" noise was coming from in my car. :hmm: I thought it was coming from the LCM. Thanks for this great post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem

I thought for sure it was my instrument cluster and after i sawpped it out I found out I was wrong after looking into it I found my ECU fan was shot and filthy. replaced and all is well. Good write up!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Replaced this fan abot 2 weeks ago and the awful cricket noise is gone gone gone!!! I've been listening to that for years.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Awesome! I heard this noise a few times! Now i can change this blower! :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bump. Thank you! Video and everything. You guys are AWESOME! No chick I'm dating asked wtf is that? I told her it was a radar detector and a cop was nearby :dunno:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bump. Thank you! Video and everything. You guys are AWESOME! No chick I'm dating asked wtf is that? I told her it was a radar detector and a cop was nearby :dunno:
Should have told her it was a virgin detector that is built into the passenger seat. :4ngie:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got my replacement fan in and it is the same except for the wiring. The one I removed from the car has three wires and the new one I got has two. I'm trying to find out now if I can exchange it for the right one. Fun Fun. Maybe they used different configurations in different cars so I'd suggest you remove your old one first to make sure you get the right one for your car before the dreaded, "man...i got the wrong part..." feeling. : )

1 - 20 of 86 Posts