E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my car lowered and it always made a pop "boing!" noise when I go over driveways diagonally. Well I still have that noise, but now when I go diagonally at very sharp angles, I hear a creak or low pitched squeak as the body twists or as one of the corners are unloaded. (weight transfered)

Anyone else have this? What is that noise?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
yup. Have it and it was worse when I used to have my car lowered. It's probably the frame tweaking because of the stiff suspension. I noticed that the majority of my squeeking comes from my moonroof. I was washing my car and put force downward on the glass and the fuzzy seal around the glass made a squeeking creaky noise. I'm almost positive thats whats creaking on my car. But also there used to be a creaking noise from the rear corners. It's just the way our cars are built. Most cars cant handle stiff aftermarket suspension without some sort of creak

·
www.xeetstreetband.com
725 Posts
I pass a section of road that is sharply angled and I hear that noise everyday! Do you think rear strut tower bars would stiffen the back of the car enough to eliminate the creeking?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
your a arms might be bad. they replaced mine when it made a noise like that and now its gone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Exactly what suspension set-up do you have, I mean exactly the details of all the parts replaced to lower your car?

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,902 Posts
i have stock sport suspension and my car creaks all over the place when i go up on driveways diagonally

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
foofoo11 said:
Exactly what suspension set-up do you have, I mean exactly the details of all the parts replaced to lower your car?
I have the GC coilovers w/ stock sport shocks. (sedan) I have RD sway bars w/o the adjustable endilnks, and I have 235/40/18 tires on 18x8.5 rims. Do you have any ideas what it can be?

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
i know what your'e talking about. Its pretty annoying and embarassing when you have someoen with you

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
lol not really, but it soundsl ike my car is gonna just fall apart right there.

·
Der Meisterstück
2,399 Posts
check the rear strut towers. Not the strut tower bar but what its mounted on. The E36 was notoriously known for those things coming apart and needing re-wielding. Stiff suspension may put too much stress at those points, causing them to come apart.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Delirium said:

I have the GC coilovers w/ stock sport shocks. (sedan) I have RD sway bars w/o the adjustable endilnks, and I have 235/40/18 tires on 18x8.5 rims. Do you have any ideas what it can be?
I have the GCs too...and the creaking noise is very apparent with me now. It's somewhat scary, seems like parts of the car are coming apart heh...I think it might be because the suspension is too stiff?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I have the same problem. The noise has quieted a bit since my car was new but now I have a new problem. When I enter the driveway fast or make certain turns, I hear a clicking/clunking noise like a CV joint going bad. It is coming from the wheel area on the right. I asked the dealer to look at it when I went in last and of course they didn't find any thing (but of course). I hear this noise about once a week now. I have to have then look at my linkage I guess.

Delirium said:
I have my car lowered and it always made a pop "boing!" noise when I go over driveways diagonally. Well I still have that noise, but now when I go diagonally at very sharp angles, I hear a creak or low pitched squeak as the body twists or as one of the corners are unloaded. (weight transfered)

Anyone else have this? What is that noise?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts