BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past Sunday me and two buddies were driving back to Utah from San Diego, where we had been for the weekend. In between Las Vegas and St. George, UT, which is basically a huge desert/ middle of nowhere, my idler pulley breaks, so of course the belts come loose. We pull off, call AAA, they send out a tow truck. We were gonna have him take us to St. George, where I would have spent the night and then tried to find a place to fix my car the next day, which was about 75 miles from where we broke down. There was another car that had some problems that was just six miles up the road and had also called AAA, so the tow guy stopped by to see if that driver needed a ride or whatever, cuz he was gonna have to come back for his car after he dropped us off. So we pull up to where this other car was, and there are three bimmers (an M roadster, a 7, and an E92 M3). Turns out that they actually own a shop in Chicago that specializes in BMW repair and custom fab called Fluid Motor Union. I told them what had happened to mine and they were like “We can fix that.” The busted out the tools and cannibalized the pulley and belt off the M roadster and my car was running again in twenty minutes. I offered to pay them but they wouldn’t take anything. Their whole crew was super chill and knew exactly what they were doing. You can check out some of their work at www.fluidmotorunion.com. Me and my friends still can’t believe this whole thing happened. Seriously tho, what are the odds?

·
Registered
20,209 Posts
Well, you got lucky you broke down near vegas during M Fest. :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
They were in Las Vegas for their MFest and probably brought a lot BMW goodies, like belts and pulleys with them. Renews my feeling of goodwill towards men. This is a feel-good story. :bawling:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I checked out their site www.fluidmotorunion.com, and they have the right stuff. Restoring a BMW 750Li is no easy task, their other projects are works of art. I looked this site up, because I am originally from Illinois, and know where Plainfield is located (off I55 about 40 miles SW of Chicago). Back in the 1970s I was part of the design construction team which build a Caterpiller (Peroia) plant there. Plainfield has come a long way, good to see those folks support a good tuner.

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea, the guys at Fluid are great.

My car's been getting some work done, and i'm also bringing by daily (E39 525iT) for all maintenance work.

Good odds for you...should have went to Vegas and tried out the odds at the tables =)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
now thats some good karma... sounds like great guys, and things like this is what helps a shop in this tight nit comunity. Good news travels ... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I live around 5 minutes from these guys and i never knew it until one of my neighbor told me after 8 yrs.!!!! anyways, the guys there are very nice people and do top notch works. they have dynos, cnc machines, and etc... for any work you need done. I needed to roll my fenders on my car and couldn't find anyone to lend me a fender roller until my friend brought me there and i asked OJ the head mechanic/owner if i could rent it from him and with no hesitations... no problem $15. :yikes: We need more shops like this in IL!

·
Registered
212 Posts
perfect timing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts