E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

This is my first post on this forum, and i would like some opinions related to the damage on my car.

I come from Norway and was driving back to Uni during the autumn rush (The vacation just ended). I was stuck in queues the whole day, and the trip which usually takes two and a half hours took me 7 hours.

Anyways, to the point. Traffic slowed down when i came closer to Oslo, and all of a sudden the cars in front of me locked their wheels and came to a stop. I tried my best but my 1999er could not match the braking distance of the bimmer in front of me, a 2005 320D, i was probably too close to him but when you drive a BMW you have to follow the stereotype, you know. I rear ended him in 20-30 km/h and that was that, atleast i thought. My radiator broke and there was a lot of ''smoke'' coming from the hood. The hood is crunched and the front trim is bent, to my surprise the plastic lip took little to no damage at all.

The car still starts just fine so no engine problems, but no coolant in the system because of the radiator so don't really want to take it for a spin. The wheels did not take any damage and the ''frame'' of the car is still in good shape. also, airbags did not deploy. The sides are also untouched, so the damage is not really that big.

Do you guys think this is worth fixing? :bow:

I will try to fix it no matter what, and i'll post my progress in this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
If your car was well maintained and problem free, sure fix it. It's not too bad.
But why not use this as a chance to get something newer/better? You can probably find a newer E46 in decent shape with a bigger motor and more power.

·
Registered
455 Posts
find a donor car for the parts

call your local LKQ or other used parts place. Remember that cash is king and everything is negotiable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah the car runs problem free, the reason i want to have it fixed is because i'm dependent on a car atm, and i can't afford a new one, because i'm a student. My long term goals is to have this car for two more years atleast, then i might be able to afford a new one.

Good to hear that you think it's fixable.

·
Registered
352 Posts
first brush at the problem, you'll need:
hood, bumper, bumper shocks, rad, rad support, fan (?), headlights, your fenders are probably bent somewhat too.
Based on the pictures of the sides your toe is way out so you'll have to figure out what's bent there as well.

As it's your only car I'd be taking the insurance money and looking at used cars.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If you really just need wheels, looks like you need a radiator cross support, radiator, hood, and turn signals and you'd be on the road

·
Registered
106 Posts
first brush at the problem, you'll need:
hood, bumper, bumper shocks, rad, rad support, fan (?), headlights, your fenders are probably bent somewhat too.
Based on the pictures of the sides your toe is way out so you'll have to figure out what's bent there as well.

As it's your only car I'd be taking the insurance money and looking at used cars.
I agree with this..
Even if it's your only car, you'll end up spending more to fix it than to purchase a similar vehicle used.

Also, @CrowsFeast, Etobicoke... I must find you.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had a worse incident with a tree, I fixed the whole thing for $800 in about two weeks... If you can do it yourself, go ahead. It's really not bad if all that was damaged was forward of the engine. I never had my hood repainted because paint is expensive so I used gloss black vinyl, and I had my old front bumper since I wrecked with an M3 bumper mounted.

Sent from my XT1080 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
+1 for fix it yourself. It's probably not worth having a shop do it.

...but that's just advice over the internet, from a less- civilised country...

t

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I do not have full coverage, my insurance only covers the car i crash in to, not my own. It's really expensive to own a BMW as a 19 year old in Norway, i pay $1400 a year for the basic insurance so yeah. I know a guy who can fix it very cheap, but it might take some time, i'll keep you posted.;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If i end up fixing it, will the car feel the same as before or will it feel different after a crash like that?

·
Registered
703 Posts
If i end up fixing it, will the car feel the same as before or will it feel different after a crash like that?
Depends on how good of a job he does and how good the parts are. If done correctly then yes it would be just like before, but "very cheap" I wouldn't expect it to be like it was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, i did not mean very cheap like in a bad job, but the job is done under the table, so no taxes if you know what i mean, the guy has been fixing bimmers since e30's so he is very good.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This looks much like my daughter's e36 after she rear-ended a Camry. We talked nicely to the folks at the BMW recycle yard and they gave us a deal on the whole pile of parts. I cut the hood open and took pictures, then took the pictures to the recycle yard and they took out a piece of paper and wrote us a shopping list. We did not need fenders or front bumper and everything we needed came to $700. She then used the body shop that paints her company's work trucks and got the company discount to paint the hood and font end for another $700. Arguably, that 300k+ mile e36 was worth only $1400 when we got done, and we invested quite a bit of work, but we still have that car and it looks and runs perfect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This looks much like my daughter's e36 after she rear-ended a Camry. We talked nicely to the folks at the BMW recycle yard and they gave us a deal on the whole pile of parts. I cut the hood open and took pictures, then took the pictures to the recycle yard and they took out a piece of paper and wrote us a shopping list. We did not need fenders or front bumper and everything we needed came to $700. She then used the body shop that paints her company's work trucks and got the company discount to paint the hood and font end for another $700. Arguably, that 300k+ mile e36 was worth only $1400 when we got done, and we invested quite a bit of work, but we still have that car and it looks and runs perfect.
Yeah, the guy that's gonna fix my car knows a lot of people that work at scrapyards, so he said he could get parts pretty cheap, i might even send my car to Lithuania to get the whole car resprayed for 1/4 of the cost in Norway. It looks pretty bad but it is no way as bad as it looks, i think it's very achievable to get it running again. The car has 240500 km on the clock, or 149 430 miles, and because it has been maintained so well, i think it has a lot of miles left. Ultimatly i think it's worth fixing the car no matter what cost, hehe.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree with this..
Even if it's your only car, you'll end up spending more to fix it than to purchase a similar vehicle used.

Also, @CrowsFeast, Etobicoke... I must find you.
'05 black zhp with Ontario Time Attack windshield banner and door magnets. I mostly ride my motorcycle now though (2002 Kawasaki ZR-7S).

I'll try to remember you next time I go lapping if you'd like to join.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts