BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving by SFO this morning, and hear this rock hit my windshield going about 75mph. I look over near the passenger side of the window, and see this medium sized chip. I tell my buddy to see what it is, so he rolls down the window and feels the outside to see how bad it is. Nothing bad...

2 minutes later, and the crack expands to about 8 inches across and stops. So what do you guys suggest I do now? Get it replaced? Fill it in with that gel stuff? My deducible is pretty high, so if I had to replace it, it'd be out of my pocket...which I'm guessing will run me about $350 or so. Dang it, my registration is due too, and that alone is about $650. I'm thinking of just leaving it alone, and get it replaced when I actually need to... any advice folks? :banghead:

·
Got Jesus?
1,149 Posts
Get it replaced. It will only get worse and it even impairs your driving. It's not worth the risk, imo

·
Registered
117 Posts
The windshield should cost you no more than about $250. Go to new car dealership that you trust, and talk to the used car sales manager. Be friendly to him, and ask him who he uses to replace windshields - I'll bet that you can get his deal on a windshield, possibly as low as $200!

·
Got Mis-shift?
796 Posts
Just to let you know, winshield cracks are covered by insurance. It wouldn't cost you anything. Talk to the windshield repair company and they'll tell you exactly what to do to get your insurance to cover it. My brother got his windshield fixed for free.

·
-not a mod-
31,619 Posts
Got mine fixed for free too. Just had to front my deductible. But got compensated for everything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A windsheild is a windshield no matter who makes or sells it. They are all the same so don't go to the dealership. They will just try to rape you. Look up some glass shops that does auto glass and they usually have the best rates.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm on the line with my insurance company now, so hopefully I can get the repair reimbursed. I've gotten quotes for the OEM glass around $300-$500 from several repair shops. Yeah, no pics available, but at lunchtime, I noticed the crack seam get longer. Hopefully it'll last until it gets fixed...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that sucks. Looks like my insurance company (21st century)doesn't cover windshields as a free thing, so I'd have to pay it on my own. I want to get OEM, but they run pretty steep, so I may have to settle for an aftermarket one. Are they any good? The good thing about OEM is that they're usually a lot stronger and can withstand harder hits from rocks.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just got hit by a big rock on my windshield. The damage is the size of a quarter :sad:

Calling my insurance tomorrow if they can fix it for free. If not, does anyone know any good places in San Diego that fixes windshields?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hold up. Your insurance doesn't cover windshields??? Ok, I don't know all insurance companies, but that sounds like a load brown stuff. It should be covered on any policy under your comprehensive coverage. Now, granted, if you don't have comprehensive, I will just be quiet now...

However, on my 4Runner I had the windshield replaced and the right front passenger window replaced - one was free, the other $100 deductible.

Bottom line, get it fixed. It will only get worse.

·
Registered
381 Posts
yeah i have a huge crack in mine, have to get it fixed... never ending saga of repairing the BMW... if its not the windshield its the window regulators, if its not that its the cam sensor, ifits not that its the A/C. I've probably spent over 3k alone in repairs this year and i've only owned it a year :(.

·
Registered
179 Posts
$100 insurance deductable

call your insurance to see whether
your windshield is covered. I paid
$100 deductable couple months ago for
the same type of crack. Took him only 45
minutes to do the job.

·
INDEED
1,144 Posts
I got quoted $450 from Novus. But ended up getting it replaced for $200. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
First of all glass is not the same and all installers are not either... DATELINE did an expo a year ago about the subject. And after seeing it, you would definitely twice about who you get to install your windshield. To be on the safe side I had mine replaced at the dealer.. It cost $850 at the dealer but it was done right with glass from BMW.. I have full glass coverage with my insurance. But State Farm would only pay a max of $500 and I paid the other $350. If you can afford it, get the dealer to do it....

·
Registered
226 Posts
i was driving a freakin LOANER car, 325i and a big-ass rock hit the windshield and left a rock chip size of a 50-cent coin and my insurance took care of it, didnt even have to pay $100 deductible for comprehensive... i have State Farm.. i guess you get what you pay for your insurance... State Farm is awesome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts