E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post here although I've been lurking the threads for longer than I've been a BMW owner. Anyway, I've run into a problem while resurrecting my 1999 328i.

So recently I changed the CCV to an OCC, and upon restarting the car (first time the car had been started in months, and it hasn't been driven much for the past two years) I was greeted with random misfires and P0335/Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit. Not a problem I thought, although removing the sensor meant removing the intake manifold and struggling for a week with the single fastening screw being stripped.

Cleaned it off and reinstalled everything, but when I went to start the car it was a little different, the engine cranked but there was no spark!

So I figured it must be the sensor - I tried one from the junkyard and bought a non-BMW CPS from O'Reilly, both to no avail. Unfortunately the original sensor was mangled in the process of removing the stripped screw so I can't try that one again.

I did try testing the resistance values of the sensor but believe from what I've read that there needs to be some source of power to the sensor in order to do so correctly.

I also tested the wires and they are providing sufficient voltage.

Could it be the camshaft sensors? I've read that they can also be a factor in an engine with crank/no spark but I'm weary to replace them without a code specific to the cam sensors. Or maybe is it because I didn't buy a genuine BMW sensor? I'm also wondering what the torque value for the screw is because I haven't been able to find it with searching.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought the more details I provide you guys with, the better you'd be able to help me out!

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to your responses and even more to getting this car back on the road!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dawg! I just went and turned the key again, and the tach registered 0rpm... Is my best course of action to go to BMW in the morning and buy a genuine sensor?

I***8217;m really trying to get this car going before I move back to school next week!

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Thanks Dawg! I just went and turned the key again, and the tach registered 0rpm... Is my best course of action to go to BMW in the morning and buy a genuine sensor?

I***8217;m really trying to get this car going before I move back to school next week!
I replaced mine with a siemens/vdo from fcpeuro. Had no issues and the tach shows 250 when cranking

The fact that an issue occurred after replacement means you have to trace back your steps. Did you make sure you plugged in the sensor all the way? Did you remove the intake manifold? If so, did you reconnect everything back into its proper place? You mentioned the car had been sitting for a while. What's the battery voltage?

By the way, your error says circuit. Circuit refers to the wiring. Trace back the wire and make sure your DME connectors don't have any oil in them. Also, when you plugged the sensor back in, was it possibly dirty and thus allows for a bad connection?

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles japan red
16,954 Posts

I'm really trying to get this car going before I move back to school next week!
I wouldn’t buy a single part until you’ve proved it’s bad with some testing. Use a multimeter to verify the wiring from the sensor to DME connector is good and to verify the signal coming from the sensor is correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great suggestions guys! Thank you, I***8217;ll be troubleshooting in the morning and will return with my results

1 - 7 of 7 Posts