E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys, this is my first post and also the first BMW I have owned. I have a 2001 325i and it's been nothing but a nightmare. I have the code P0339 (crankshaft position sensor) I went ahead and replaced it with a autozone but it did nothing. So I returned it and ordered a OEM replacement from the dealer and it also did nothing, code still came right up when I plugged battery back. Ive looked around for days and I haven't found a straight answer in all the countless threads I've seen. The car still struggles to start and once it does it shakes for a little bit. Also no power and stalls and RPMs are all over the place. Specially when I put it on reverse. I know there is plenty of threads out there but has anyone had this problem and actually fixed it??? I am out of ideas at this point

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked and it leads to a sort of box. It's under a lot of things so I really can't take a look at it and have to rely on just feeling around, if that's the case can I just replace the cable or I would have to change the entire box it connects to. I didn't feel any harness I could unplug on that end

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
You need to clear the code with a scanner and see if it comes back.
You may have multiple issues. If the engine starts, the cranks sensor should be OK.
Mileage? Maintenance history?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't cleared the codes but I will take it to get it cleared. I bought the car second hand so I really can't tell for sure. The car right now has 192xxx. It ran perfect for a while but now all this popped up. if it's not the crank sensor what else it could it be?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
At 192K, it can be a lot of things, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, plugs, etc.
You need to sort things out one step at a time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of that seems to be working fine. Checked everything over night. The problem started when I took an exit to the highway off a red light. You have to speed up since the actual exit is pretty short and while doing thing the car jerked for a bit then SES light came on. Followed by the traction control light and a amber brake light. I'm new to this BMW system so any ideas you might have is good

·
Registered
524 Posts
"The problem started when I took an exit to the highway off a red light. You have to speed up since the actual exit is pretty short and while doing thing the car jerked for a bit then SES light came on. Followed by the traction control light and a amber brake light."
Auto tranny? You may have issues with the alternator or battery. Could be both dying.

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,243 Posts
It's a 5 speed, I just took it to autozone and battery and alternator seem fine. The reader showed them at 14 volts
I've read at least a few reports here that by the time the crankshaft sensor throws a code and puts you in limp mode, it takes code clearing and an adaptations reset to get you going.

List your location in your profile, you might get more localized help that way.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It is too bad you can't get to the computer side of the wires to check them.

You might want to check the connector. Sometimes the clips that grab the pins get loosened up. Might be worth trying to tighten them up and seeing if helps. Those connections need to be clean and tight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I triple checked the connector. It wasn't too dirty but I cleaned it up anyways. Now do you guys have any ideas in how to "reset the adaptations???

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
The car still struggles to start and once it does it shakes for a little bit. Also no power and stalls and RPMs are all over the place.
I've read at least a few reports here that by the time the crankshaft sensor throws a code and puts you in limp mode, it takes code clearing and an adaptations reset to get you going.
OP's car didn't go into limp mode, it has 192K and probably little or no maintenance done to it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts