E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2002 320 that won’t start. Starter is good, ignition switch is good, fuses are all good. I jumped the EWS module and I got it to crank. I’ve check all the wiring and all my powers and grounds are good. I’ve read that the EWS is also the starter relay? Is there any possible way to delete the EWS?? Or do I have to get a new one?

· Administrator
2013 X1 M-sport
22,464 Posts
It only cranks when I jump the EWS connector, I thought that meant I had an EWS issue?
Yes, it does point to EWS. But you still need to get past that. Why doesn‘t it start? Is there fuel, spark, compression?

You can easily program your MS43 DME with EWS Delete patched software. See this website.

· Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
2,558 Posts
The EWS has 2 actions to protect the car from being stolen:
  1. Enable/disable crank. You've bypassed this.
  2. Enable/disable drive away protection. This stops the engine from starting. You have not confirmed if this is operating.
Scan the DME for trouble codes. If the drive away protection is broken, there will be code 128 (Dec) DME/EWS Communication.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The EWS has 2 actions to protect the car from being stolen:
  1. Enable/disable crank. You've bypassed this.
  2. Enable/disable drive away protection. This stops the engine from starting. You have not confirmed if this is operating.
Scan the DME for trouble codes. If the drive away protection is broken, there will be code 128 (Dec) DME/EWS Communication.
I will double check the faults! I don’t believe I have any though

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was it sold as 'no crank no start'?
It was sold as a “idk what’s wrong with it, but the body is in mint condition”.

I have a 1999 328i that I swapped a 3.0 in, but it needs to be rebuilt. So in the meantime I was going to swap everything out of it and put in this engine, but I can’t get it to start.

· Premium Member
11,936 Posts
I just picked up a 2002 320 that won’t start. Starter is good, ignition switch is good, fuses are all good. I jumped the EWS module and I got it to crank. I’ve check all the wiring and all my powers and grounds are good. I’ve read that the EWS is also the starter relay? Is there any possible way to delete the EWS?? Or do I have to get a new one?
Bought a car with EWS issue? It is the original key or duplicated key that fails to authenticate with the EWS? Short circuit the EWS connector to crank, but without the EWS talking to the DME, it will not turn on the injectors nor the ignition coils.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I swapped the starter from my old car to this one so it is 100% working. So I guess my question is should I be looking else where for the issue? I figure if it cranked with the EWS jumped than it would need an EWS, but is that not the case?

· Premium Member
11,936 Posts
Buy AK90 and read the EWS's BIN file and save it. Then buy new ebay key with the the transponder chip PCF7935 and program the key to #1 slot with the BIN file. Do not write back to the EWS.

· Registered
2004 325ci
1,439 Posts
It only cranks when I jump the EWS connector, I thought that meant I had an EWS issue???
This guide is very good . But one possibility may be missing.

WHen you turn your ignition on, position 2, do the "normal: lights on the dash come on .. or just the odometer display?

If (and only if) you don't see the display. take the lower cowling off the steering wheel , find the big Black connector and probe green & purple wire. DO they each get 12V when you turn the ignition on (no cranking needed).
These do accessories. The green one has the pump circuit and the instrument cluster. If green has no 12V when your ignition switch is in Pos 2, Jump 12 V on that wire and see if you hear the fuel pump kick on. You probably will. If so try to start the car. If the car starts it will be your ignition switch or a loose wire in that wire pack connecting the ign switch to that black connector..

Please let us know what you discover ! -ourmandan-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.