BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this for a while but it is getting increasingly annoying (either it has gotten louder or I am getting more aware of it). When the roads are bumpy and when I make a turn, the roof (from the sunroof area to the back) makes a cracking noise (like when people walk on dry wood floors). I went to inspect the roof by touching every part of it and I don't see anything is lose......anybody know how to fix this?

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,528 Posts
I had the same problem... took it to the dealer. The tech said all the washing/waxing leaves a residue. Simply clean the metal edges of the roof, and lube the sunroof's felt edges (I don't know what with -- forgot to ask him) and it goes away. I presume this happens only with the sunroof closed, right? If it's in any of the open positions it's fine?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a similar noise. Only happened on corners and bumpy. Coming from roof area, like over my head It was the handle abouve the drivers's door. Loose.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well

the position of the sunroof doesn't really matter as it happens when it is opened or closed. I will try to clean the edges and see if that makes a difference but if that is the case, then I will have to clean the edges everytime I wash my car?

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
111 Posts
I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m sorry to read about this problem with your sunroof. If you and your BMW center want our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #1-126704245 so that we can help you more efficiently.

·
First 19" ZHP
1,463 Posts
my roof makes that noise sometimes and ^^^sheefo2k make your sig shorter lol jk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts