E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving on the freeway and a pebble shot at my windshield. It left a quarter inch crack in the windshield, are there any soluctions or products i can use to patch it up. How much does a whole new windshield cost? thankz for the help...

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
i have the samething on my car, its on the bottom left part of my windsheild. i think you could go to some place and have them melt you glass a little to seal up the crack. but i would rather just replace my whole windsheild. i have hella chips all over the place. i think most insurance companies will give you one winshield a year for like 50 bucks.

·
Doesn't like PMs...Email me
2,278 Posts
first, stop driving your car. It will spread. If it can be covered w/ a dollar bill, it most likely can be repaired. It is a risky repair, so you will need to call around to find somebody who will do it. If not, check w/ your insurance agency and see what is covered. The windsheild will cost $514.29 to repair.
Some kid threw a pennie out the window and hit my windsheild... I chased him down and got his parents to pay for it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
CynicalWry said:
first, stop driving your car. It will spread. If it can be covered w/ a dollar bill, it most likely can be repaired. It is a risky repair, so you will need to call around to find somebody who will do it. If not, check w/ your insurance agency and see what is covered. The windsheild will cost $514.29 to repair.
Some kid threw a pennie out the window and hit my windsheild... I chased him down and got his parents to pay for it.
Haha thats ****in awesome... thats exactly what I would've done. My dad told me once him and his friend were playin tricks on motorists on a small coutry road... nothing to damage their car, but they would lay beside the road, wait for a motorist to stop and then get up and jet... well they did it to a guy that just got back from vietnam... needless to say he chased them down and took them to their parents.... had me rollin!

·
Banned
0 Posts
winsheild is chweap, i just had mine replaced on 199 323iw/rain sensor like the glass was under 400$cdn. not from bmw, but same company who makes bmw, pendkinton or something call loacal cdn shops cheaper than us!!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm having mine replaced this Friday - for a 2002 330i. I have full glass coverage, so it isn't costing me a thing - but, if I had to pay, tthey said it would have been 189. - including rain sensor

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a rock chip with cracking maybe about the size of a quarter... I drove around like this for several weeks and it didn't grow, so the other day I attempted to repair it with the Permatex DIY glass repair kit purchased locally. The spot is still visible, but it's much less noticable. I think the repair is made with a UV-curing resin, there's a deal with an airtight adhesive cup and a syringe, you use the syringe to attempt to suck the air out and replace it with adhesive.

Anyway, I don't know if the repair will last, but if not I needed a new windshield anyway. And the kit was only like $8.

·
www.piratecove.org
3,677 Posts
CynicalWry said:
If you are getting it for that cheap, than you are not getting the official BMW glass
there is a difference? glass is glass

i got a new windshield on a different car for $200

·
Registered
595 Posts
CtrlAltDel said:

there is a difference? glass is glass

i got a new windshield on a different car for $200
Look at it this way: the premium you are paying would have paid for genuine OEM glass many times over. You deserve original equipment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Question for you all with replaced windshields, did the repair man remove anything like the weatherstripping and the plastic part under the wipers and such from the factory and replace with new pieces? I am getting a new windshield on Monday and was worried that I would have further cosmetic damage to the car after the replacement. What about the rain sensor? Will that be f-ed up appearance -wise after the new shield is put in? I specified that I needed BMW glass with rain sensor. Supposedly gonna cost me $100. Hope this replacement looks and works just like new.

Thanks...

·
Doesn't like PMs...Email me
2,278 Posts
pete330i said:
Question for you all with replaced windshields, did the repair man remove anything like the weatherstripping and the plastic part under the wipers and such from the factory and replace with new pieces? I am getting a new windshield on Monday and was worried that I would have further cosmetic damage to the car after the replacement. What about the rain sensor? Will that be f-ed up appearance -wise after the new shield is put in? I specified that I needed BMW glass with rain sensor. Supposedly gonna cost me $100. Hope this replacement looks and works just like new.

Thanks...
BMW OEM glass is very expensive. If your are getting it for $100, you are getting crap glass.
The will replace your molding/stipping.... it is pealed out, scraped clean, and then new molding is re-applied.
Once you get it done... no car washes or high speeds for 3 days.. mainly for the purpose of pressure on the windsheild. Also, leave the windows cracked while driving to reduce the pressure on the windshield... and easy going over bumps (obviously.) Leave the tape on for 48 hours. If you don't follow these rules, your windsheild might not set correctly... and 2 years later you will notice your windows ice more and possible leakes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts