BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

First of all thanks to all who participated in past threads that helped me diagnose a rattle in the rear left area of the car. It sounded like a chain rattling most of the time when I hit a bump. I checked the sway bar, upper shock mount... all mine. Then I discovered the bottom end of the spring (about 3/4 of a turn) had rusted out and was sitting on the control arm rattling around. Anyway, the car still drives okay.

Do you guys recommend leaving it or changing it (stock non-sport suspension)?

Should I change both sides?

I don't have too much auto repair experience but am handy with tools. Looks like a straightforward DIY, right?

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
perfect time to lower it!
+1000000 :thumbsup:

We carry all the major manufacturers! Let me know if there is anything I can help you out with!

·
Registered
742 Posts
i had the same problem so i decided to lower the car. good luck

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
Hi everybody!

First of all thanks to all who participated in past threads that helped me diagnose a rattle in the rear left area of the car. It sounded like a chain rattling most of the time when I hit a bump. I checked the sway bar, upper shock mount... all mine. Then I discovered the bottom end of the spring (about 3/4 of a turn) had rusted out and was sitting on the control arm rattling around. Anyway, the car still drives okay.

Do you guys recommend leaving it or changing it (stock non-sport suspension)?

Are you joking with us?? That post was five years ago! You just found out?!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=90914
:eek:mg:
I'd say yes replace it. But since you've driven with the car like that most of it's life....:dunno:
If you change it, it might drive straight and cause an accident. :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Are you joking with us?? That post was five years ago! You just found out?!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=90914
:eek:mg:
I'd say yes replace it. But since you've driven with the car like that most of it's life....:dunno:
If you change it, it might drive straight and cause an accident. :)
mabey he jsut got out of prison 5 years later, and wanted us to know that he was helped back then.

ne-way

Congrats on finding the solution and lower that car!:thumbup:

·
Registered
698 Posts
i had the same problem so i decided to lower the car. good luck
:werd:

Same here.

Or you could just buy some used springs on the forum for almost nothing (people have them laying around) and swap out the rears.

You'll need two people. One to install the spring, and one to stand on the hub in order to lower the axil.

You must have your parking brake OFF

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh? Five years ago? I did a search yesterday and that post came up! Problem started 2 weeks ago

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
Huh? Five years ago? I did a search yesterday and that post came up! Problem started 2 weeks ago
Oh, lol. I thought you posted in that other thread in '03 you had the same problem. My bad :banghead:

Yes, swap those springs out. It's probably a good time to upgrade. But you should be able to find a used set of take-offs from someone in the Classifieds Forum here cheap. The rears are fairly easy to swap. The fronts are the hard ones that require special tools and markings to follow/match.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks! I'll check that out. I don't want to spend to much to upgrade- i'm selling the car... Z4 next!?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts