E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
...guys over at car audio is telling me something about my amp not turning on properly. When the car is started... Amp is always on... even if the HU is off.

When the car isnt started... amp goes on and off with the HU.
Woah, this doesn't sound right...

Mark

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
I moved cables, amp, xovers, rca, and ground.... nothing... same noise.

i tried shorting the rca... no improvement

i dunno what else to do.
When you shorted the RCAS @ components down the chain, at what point is the noise coming in? Did you get noise when you had the shorted RCAs at the amp?

Also, when you say shorted, they are not supposed to be connected to ground or anything else.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
ca1242 said:
When you shorted the RCAS @ components down the chain, at what point is the noise coming in? Did you get noise when you had the shorted RCAs at the amp?

Also, when you say shorted, they are not supposed to be connected to ground or anything else.
noise only coming from tweets. i disconnected the EQX, noise is still there.

i disconnect speaker output from amp.. no noise at all.

i shorted the rcas by twisting all wires together at the end. then plugged the other end into the the amp input. noise still there.

i tried moving the amp around.. same thing... i sanded the ground down... noise still there. switch to another ground... same thing..

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Try temporarily running a new set of speaker cables from the tweeters to the amplifier (or passive crossover, however it is connected) to bypass the ones currently being used. Just run them loose through the cabin. The speaker wires could be the culprit (as jae mentioned earlier). If so you may need to replace the runs - full length if possible. Or maybe just from where they enter the cabin from the door to the back.

As for the "turn on" issue, take a meter to the turn on wire you are currently using and see when it is producing power and to what voltage. The amp and EQX should only be on when the HU is on - I am using the white wire at the factory amp and have not had any problems with that.

Mark

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Canuck328i said:
Try temporarily running a new set of speaker cables from the tweeters to the amplifier (or passive crossover, however it is connected) to bypass the ones currently being used. Just run them loose through the cabin. The speaker wires could be the culprit (as jae mentioned earlier). If so you may need to replace the runs - full length if possible. Or maybe just from where they enter the cabin from the door to the back.

As for the "turn on" issue, take a meter to the turn on wire you are currently using and see when it is producing power and to what voltage. The amp and EQX should only be on when the HU is on - I am using the white wire at the factory amp and have not had any problems with that.

Mark

I will try the tweets rewire soon.

For the turn on.. everything is on a relay. The ground and 12v wire goes directly into the EQX, that same connection is also tapped into and plugs into the relay.

What is the correct way to power the EQX and wire 2 turn on for 2 amps?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
I will try the tweets rewire soon.

For the turn on.. everything is on a relay. The ground and 12v wire goes directly into the EQX, that same connection is also tapped into and plugs into the relay.

What is the correct way to power the EQX and wire 2 turn on for 2 amps?
Did you said you have a crossover between the EQX and the amp?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ca1242 said:
Did you said you have a crossover between the EQX and the amp?

Yep. Xovers that come with the Comp. Set. From the speaker output from the amp to the input on the xover.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
Yep. Xovers that come with the Comp. Set. From the speaker output from the amp to the input on the xover.
OK - kinda confused here - do you have the speaker output of the amp going to the EQX?

The comp set crossovers would be passive, no? Speaker wire terminals? If so, there is a big wiring problem here.

The EQX in and out RCAs are active low level. The amplifier is active low level RCA in, and speaker output level out (at the screw speaker terminals). The passive crossovers are passive speaker level in and out.

Assuming a single amp running the front speakers with the passive crossovers splitting the signal for the separates, the correct chain of connection should be as follows:

- OEM Head Unit outputs (twisted low level outputs) need to be soldered to RCA plugs and connected to the input pair on the EQX.
- A set of RCAs go from the high pass output of the EQX to the input of the amplifier.
- The speaker outputs from the amplifier go to the input terminals of the passive crossovers.
- The tweeter output from each passive crossover goes to its respective tweeter, and the woofer output from each passive crossover goes to its respective woofer.

If I misread the previous post then disregard...

Mark

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Everything Wired exactly how you described it except for the HU part. Im using the high level input of the EQX instead of the RCA plugs.

I doubt this is where the noise is coming from.

i had the eqx unplugged, and power removed.... noise was still present.

im still gonna try the rca method and see how it goes.

thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
454 Posts
did you get rid of the noise?

i thought you might want to read this..

http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=008099

Bubbatalk77

Member # 12172

posted October 21, 2004 02:24 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Audiocontrol does make good stuff...and there is no extra charge for the built in noise!!!

If you are willing to spend weeks of troubleshooting mystery noise, then send off the equipment, then wait to get it back, it will last a long time. I think I still have an old EQX laying around, somewhere...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
kwang125 said:
did you get rid of the noise?

i thought you might want to read this..

http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=008099

Bubbatalk77

Member # 12172

posted October 21, 2004 02:24 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Audiocontrol does make good stuff...and there is no extra charge for the built in noise!!!

If you are willing to spend weeks of troubleshooting mystery noise, then send off the equipment, then wait to get it back, it will last a long time. I think I still have an old EQX laying around, somewhere...

nope... still there..

im gonna try the RCA method.

Thanks for the link... but.. i dont think audio control is the problem.

i unplugged the input and power from the EQX and... noise was still there.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
it looks like the stock HU doesnt have a remote turn on.

only when the amp is on.. thats when i hear these sounds.

i hooked the remote turn on directly to the amp.. same crap.. always on where the car is on.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts