E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i been having this hissing sound everytime i hit my brake at lower RPMs that come out from my tweets.

I took it back to my installer and he said its becuase of my HU.

Its not alternator whine... its whenever the car hits a low RPM... i get this hissing sound. Even when the HU is off... if i put my ear next to the tweets... i could hear a slight hiss. I had them check all wiring and separated the wires... same thing..

They also wanted to install a noise filter... but im like.. wtf would i want that... if you do it right in the first place.. then you dont need that.

Also... does our HU have a remote turn on wire? OR is that wire in the trunk only for the amp.

All wires in the amp have loom over them.

Could it be the ground... or the only problem related to ground is alternator whine? I check the resistance of the ground.. and im getting 0.05. He moved it from the factory ground location on the left to a new ground to the sheet metal behind the rear seat. Looks Ghetto to me they way he did it.

Is he right about all my noises disappearing if i change my HU?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I ran into the same problem on an install I did. RCA wires running through the console? There is a computer module under the cupholder area (under the carpet). To get rid of the noise, I just moved the wires towards the right side edge of the console and taped them with duct tape so they wouldn't move back to the middle.

You could try with another headunit temporarily, but most likely, it will not solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No RCAs .... im using my stock HU.

Only thing in my console is my bass control knob... thats not even connected.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
No RCAs .... im using my stock HU.

Only thing in my console is my bass control knob... thats not even connected.
What adaptor are they using to go into the amp? That could be a weak link.

Also, the factory head unit does have an amplifier turn-on output (white wire). It also turns on the antenna amplifier at the rear window.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
ca1242 said:
What adaptor are they using to go into the amp? That could be a weak link.
I second this. Plus, you ask about a remote turn on wire...check to make sure your amps/processors are shutting down when the power on the HU is off. You may want to relay the turn on wire too.

Mark

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im using the audio control EQX as an adaptor

installer did install a relay. once i turn the ignition off... everything shuts down... no prob in that area.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Not very common, but sometimes, speaker leads can pick up noise. First, did you play with the internal grounding adaptor on the EQX? Where is you amp grounded?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigjae1976 said:
Not very common, but sometimes, speaker leads can pick up noise. First, did you play with the internal grounding adaptor on the EQX? Where is you amp grounded?

Jae...

i did play with the ground adaptor in the eqx... no difference..

amp was grounded on factory ground on left at first... as i looked over what the installer did.. he changed the ground... its on the rear seat.. but its looks so ghetto... he drilled a hole, and put a washer with sheetmetal screw. didnt sand anything down.. didnt even use a bolt. i check the resistance between the 2 grounds.. same thing.. 0.05 ....

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried a couple of things...

unplugged the Power and high level from the EQX, noise is still there.

I get Alt whine when RCAs are unplugged, gone when i plug them in.

Removed input wire from Xover. Noise is still there.

Tried ground the RCA, noise is still there.

whats next?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
Tried a couple of things...

unplugged the Power and high level from the EQX, noise is still there.

I get Alt whine when RCAs are unplugged, gone when i plug them in.

Removed input wire from Xover. Noise is still there.

Tried ground the RCA, noise is still there.

whats next?
Let's back up a minute. This is your signal path, correct?
Head unit -> EQX -> amplifier.

What are the locations of the components? What amplifier do you have? How is the amplifier installed?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Head unit -> EQX -> amplifier = correct (Xovers inbetween the chain )

Xovers use to sit where the factory amp use to sit. i moved them from there...sitting on spare tire cover, the floor board for now. Same noise.

Amp mounted directly to my back seat ( i dont have fold down seats )

Amp.. Phoenix Gold Octane R 4.0:2

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
Head unit -> EQX -> amplifier = correct (Xovers inbetween the chain )

Xovers use to sit where the factory amp use to sit. i moved them from there...sitting on spare tire cover, the floor board for now. Same noise.

Amp mounted directly to my back seat ( i dont have fold down seats )

Amp.. Phoenix Gold Octane R 4.0:2
You have active crossovers?

1. Make some RCA jumpers (get cheap RCAs from the dollar store or radio shack, then short the inner and outer conductor of each RCA).

2. Connect jumpers at last component on the line (amplifier). If noise is gone, then problem is somewhere else up the chain. Go to the next component up the chain, keep doing that until you find out what component (or RCA going into that component) is the culprit.

·
Registered
454 Posts
what kind of RCA & speaker wire are you running? is it still the scrap wire you found somewhere in the house like you said couple weeks ago?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ca1242 said:
You have active crossovers?

1. Make some RCA jumpers (get cheap RCAs from the dollar store or radio shack, then short the inner and outer conductor of each RCA).

2. Connect jumpers at last component on the line (amplifier). If noise is gone, then problem is somewhere else up the chain. Go to the next component up the chain, keep doing that until you find out what component (or RCA going into that component) is the culprit.

how do you short the rca?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kwang125 said:
what kind of RCA & speaker wire are you running? is it still the scrap wire you found somewhere in the house like you said couple weeks ago?

im using regular speaker wire with $120 Tsunami RCA cables.
when i use regular cables.. i get alternator whine... with these no whine..

hiss problem only.

also.. if i switch my headlights on.. i hear the hiss. the loud hiss isnt constant, it hisses for about 1 sec. then stops. the other noise is constant.. but only be heard by putting your ear next to the tweeter.

guys over at car audio is telling me something about my amp not turning on properly. When the car is started... Amp is always on... even if the HU is off.

When the car isnt started... amp goes on and off with the HU.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
To short the RCAs, the easiest way is to pick up the cheap RCAs, cut the ends off (leave a couple inches of wire on the end), then strip about 1/2" of insulation and connect all the wires together.

First, identify the weak link where noise is being introduced in the system, then check the RCA routing. I am pretty sure you are too close to wires or a computer module that are inducing the hiss. So it is not alternator whine? Does the hiss pitch change when you accelerate or is it constant?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ca1242 said:
To short the RCAs, the easiest way is to pick up the cheap RCAs, cut the ends off (leave a couple inches of wire on the end), then strip about 1/2" of insulation and connect all the wires together.

So i only cut 1 end of the RCAs and twist all together?

First, identify the weak link where noise is being introduced in the system, then check the RCA routing. I am pretty sure you are too close to wires or a computer module that are inducing the hiss. So it is not alternator whine? Does the hiss pitch change when you accelerate or is it constant?
Not Alternator whine, does not change when i accelerate, its when i brake at a low RPM.. or when ever i hit that RPM... then i hear the hiss.

When the HU is off and i place my ear next to the tweets... i could hear noise.. not loud though..

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
Not Alternator whine, does not change when i accelerate, its when i brake at a low RPM.. or when ever i hit that RPM... then i hear the hiss.

When the HU is off and i place my ear next to the tweets... i could hear noise.. not loud though..
Again, once you find the component where noise is getting into the system, start checking RCA routing. For trouble shooting purposes play with spare set of RCA cables to find the source, or move around the cables you are using and see how noise is affected.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
ca1242 said:
Again, once you find the component where noise is getting into the system, start checking RCA routing. For trouble shooting purposes play with spare set of RCA cables to find the source, or move around the cables you are using and see how noise is affected.

I moved cables, amp, xovers, rca, and ground.... nothing... same noise.

i tried shorting the rca... no improvement

i dunno what else to do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts