BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2003 320I and recently the SRS light came on. MY sister took it to the store and the next time I turned the car on it was there. I asked her if she had hit a pothole or a bump but nothing.There are multiple times when it blinks once or twice upon ignition, but it remains lit and doesn't disappear.

Secondly, my yellow oil change light comes on every 5,000 KM after the oil change. Now I have spoken to my mechanic and he puts in synthetic oil, and he has advised that the vehicle is good till 10,000 KM, and last time I took it to him at 6000 KM for an oil change and he reminded me after the oil change that it can go till 10,000 and that the oil was still mostly full and barely dirty.

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED SO THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
The Yellow oil light is not an oil change light. It is a Low Oil Level indicator. Read about it in your owners manual. If the Yellow light comes on while driving the car, this usually means the oil level sensor is bad. If the oil level is low, the Yellow light should come on for 10 seconds right when you shut the engine off.

If I have this wrong, it should be clear in the Owners Manual and someone will correct me!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS JFOF! The light definitely comes on after driving for about 15 min and stays lit for 10 seconds or more after shutting the engine off. I am going for a 45 min drive soon. I will definitely check the oil level and report back.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Always check the oil first. I recall when my oil level sensor failed, it would usually come on while driving, but sometimes would come on when the engine was turned off. It was actually giving an occasional false positive, indicating the oil level was low when in fact it was full.

If you had PA Soft/BMW Scanner 1.4.0, INPA or a Professional level scan tool you would be able to see faults for the oil level sensor.

I get the Hella replacement on Amazon and just replace it when I do the next oil change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: sorry for the late update but work!. I ended up taking a look at the dip stick and it turns out that it was a little low on oil so I topped it off and voila the light went away. Now I guess all I have to do is solve the SRS light problem. any advice on how to approach that? or is there a thread anyone is aware of?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any recommendations for a code scanner that can tell me what's wrong and can even function as a reset tool and reset it if needed for a decent price??
I do live in so that does limit certain options due to shipping.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Any recommendations for a code scanner that can tell me what's wrong and can even function as a reset tool and reset it if needed for a decent price??
I do live in so that does limit certain options due to shipping.

Thanks
An obd usb connector with INPA on your laptop.
You'll be able to read and clear codes and do much much more.

Sent from my XT1563 using E46Fanatics mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts