BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i know its probably been asked a million times, i couldn't find any FAQ's for ICE.

But what are the standard sizes for all the E46 coupe speakers (non HK)?
Taking it from a point of view of pulling the old ones out, put new components in their place, witout any new PODS, mouldings etc.

Ignoring AMPS, wiring and head unit for the moment.

Regards
Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i could jsut drop a set of MB Quart RSC216's in the existing Mid and Tweater holes.. and not have any problems..?

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are the sedan speakers 5 1/4?

Sorry to ask.. i could measure them, but its dark and cold out side

Rob

·
Registered
75 Posts
From my review of the board, 6 1/2 will fit in the coupe. 5 1/4 will fit in a sedan without modification. I guess the sedans have less room. There is a guy who has 6 1/2 in his sedan, but he had to top mount the speakers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of intrest, what outputs are there on the 16:9 navigation head unit?

i.e. i want to replace the whole system, but want to leave the navigation unit on there.. do i have:

REAR
FRONT
maybe a SUB?

I would like to have control over the fading to get the balance perfect.. im thinking of 4 sets of componnets and 2 smaller subs (not a huge bass fan)

Rob

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
stock speaker size is exactly 160mm front & rear. so, a 6.5 is bigger & a 5.25 is smaller. closest is going to be a 6" replacement which can be tough to find. in the doors you need to look at the depth of the speaker more than anything, because you don't have much of it w/ out cutting into the door, which I wouldn't recommend. the rear you have plenty of room to work w/....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Speakers

I replaced my front speakers with JL audio TR650 series components. Not the top of the line JLs, but they sound nice. I left the mid connected and then EQd my system with my Audiocontrol EQ. Th Jls fit - but you have to set the speakers on the ring in the door juuuust right. Once you do that they are fine. JL makes a 6" speaker too...the TR is a coax with a non movable tweet, but you can us the mid bass portion and still get tweets...their XR high end is a 6.5" coax but actually coupled component system and you can swivel the tweet. AFter I have spent LOTS of time trying to get my imaging right, Id liked to have tried the XR coax. Better imading I would guess with the tweets closer to the speakers...and closer to an equal distance from the ears.
I have heard Boston Acoustics and ADS fit. I think Focal makes a 6".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts