BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
however, once opened, the switch will close the window.

So basically, I can't use the switch to open the rear driver side vent window, but holding down the unlock button on the key will open the vent window. The switch closes the window just fine.

I have no idea when it stopped working since I don't use the vents all the often, but I'd like to get it sorted out. Any ideas on the problem?

·
Registered
141 Posts
you can cross the switches? (or it's diffrent connectors?)
that funny - i cant close the rear window with my remote.. how i can to program it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only thing I can think of is faulty wiring/switch. You're obv getting power to the switch, but IMO, seems as though the switch isn't completing the circuit to close the vent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Remote window closure

The remote only opens the windows, it is not set-up to close them. You have to insert the key and hold it in the lock poistion to close windows. I imagine this is based on some US regulations for saftey but I am not 100% positive on that. If you want you may search for convertible top auto-open/close modules and build a module to allow open and closing of windows from remote, or you may purchase the modules online or from some of the sponsers. Car Solutions is one such company.

Sorry missed the part about the switch not functioning for the open...... that likely is just a switch failure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The remote only opens the windows, it is not set-up to close them. You have to insert the key and hold it in the lock poistion to close windows. I imagine this is based on some US regulations for saftey but I am not 100% positive on that. If you want you may search for convertible top auto-open/close modules and build a module to allow open and closing of windows from remote, or you may purchase the modules online or from some of the sponsers. Car Solutions is one such company.
Re-reading my initial post I think I made the situation a bit confusing. I'm not trying to close the windows by remote. I am having an issue trying to OPEN the window via the switch in the car. The switch in the car will not open the corresponding rear vent window. However, I can get the rear vent window open by holding the unlock button on the key. Once the window is opened, the switch in the car works to close the window.

So basically the window switch in the car is only half working.

Edit: Ah, just saw your edit. Any ideas on the difficulty in replacing the switch. Is this a doable DIY or am I looking at having to take it in?

·
Registered
141 Posts
That very very easy DIY.
Remove the boot of the shifter
Release tow screws
Then- you can remove the switch from the trim, it's hold my clip in the rear of it
Don't forget to disconnect the connector first

1 - 6 of 6 Posts