BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tonite my friend in a wrx wanted to race from a 45mph roll...andi couldnt resist anymore...i only have 1050 miles on my car... so were in 2nd gear.....finally redline it with the sport mode on....switch to 3rd and get a big gain then go to 4th then finally 5th...hit 140 mph tonite .. just couldnt hold it in anymore...:cry:

wow what a rush!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
FOR SHAME YOU SINNER!!!!! YOU SHOULDN'T BE STREET RACING!!! :rolleyes: Yeah right, hope you wooped that ass...I'm sure you did. But you're further north than I am, and I know the roads are a bit frosty, careful of that black ice man...but I know it's gotta be hard to hold it the first couple times you get the opportunity to open up your new toy.....the breakin' period sucked a$$ in germany, but atleast 4000rpm in 5th let me do around 85-90mph, which was a good stepping point to get used to 135mph runs on the bahn to get from one base to the next in like 2 minutes :lmao:

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, you really should wait atleast til 2000 miles til you start flooring it, your not even past break in. Even when you are past it you don't go right to redline you start easing your way up there. M engines are very important to take care of.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tpzblu330ci said:
I'm sorry to hear that, you really should wait atleast til 2000 miles til you start flooring it, your not even past break in. Even when you are past it you don't go right to redline you start easing your way up there. M engines are very important to take care of.

yea i know:sad: but on the bright side i killed that wrx:thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah...

not a great idea. The engine needs to properly settle.

·
NWT Fanatic
757 Posts
Why does everyone get concerned about whether other people properly break in their cars???? To be honest with you guys, I couldnt care less if someone did a burnout when leaving the dealership with a new M3. Hell, they just handed over a check for it..... I say let them do what they want without our criticisms.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
Senad said:
Why does everyone get concerned about whether other people properly break in their cars???? To be honest with you guys, I couldnt care less if someone did a burnout when leaving the dealership with a new M3. Hell, they just handed over a check for it..... I say let them do what they want without our criticisms.
I could give a **** about the other people, I care about the cars.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well...

although the blown M3 engines have been narrowed down to certain production months, BMW has repeatedly stated that owners should follow the break-in procedures to prevent any future problems. Really limits the owners liability factor should, god for bid, any problems occur.

Hey, It's just my $0.02. :rolleyes:

See article regarding failures published in Autoweek.
http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=&content_code=05803276

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wasnt there a post a while ago about how the engines are already somewhat broken in before you get your car or somethin like that?:dunno:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Engines "break in" very quickly!! Black330ci is right, by the time you hit 1K, your engine is "broken in" for the most part!! No matter how many miles your car has on it, if you rev your engine to redline, it is going to wear on it faster.

Manufacturers stress a long "break in" cycle to cover their a$$ for the most part!! I am not going to go into my extensive Mechanical Engineering background nor my experiences with building motors and gear boxes in Engineering school to prove a point. I just thought I would provide some insight based on past experiences.

polorl57, I hope you had fun against your buddies WRX!! Makes you feel good about owning such an incredible automobile, huh? :thumbup:

·
926 Posts
break-in is important so that your pistons seat in correctly. Why risk potential problems? I would suggest following the break-in period so that you avoid any inconveniences and problems in the future.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts