BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turned on my heat for the first time in 7 months or so, and within 30 seconds, the orange radiator (low coolant?) light came on. Just replaced my expansion tank last winter, by the way, but have not noticed any leaks or anything else out of the ordinary. Could turning my heat on for the first time have caused the heater core to draw in coolant and perhaps break an air pocket that could have been present, therefore causing the coolant level to drop? Just curious to see if anyone knows by the time I check this out in the daylight tomorrow...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow! The same exact thing happened to me today!!!! Today was the first day I kicked on the heat and I also had changed my expansion tank this past summer. I checked the coolant when I got home and it was in fact low. I'll be interested to see responses as to whether this is a coincidence.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Of course! heater valve opened filled up lower heating hoses therefore lowered the coolant level. Mine did the exact same thing this morning. add just a little coolant won't take much. should be just fine after that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts