BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had issues with my passenger side tail light leaking from aftermarket lights the previous owner installed. I have the rear light dash light on and when looking at the wiring noticed it's really corroded. I tried to separate the harness but had to really mangle it in order to break it apart. I would rather try to keep it as OEM as possible and install a new harness, is this possible or should I go the solder/crimp route?

I believe this is the part number of the harness that plugs into the tail light bulb connector:

I would just need to get a part number for the bulb side connector and also the pin sizes. Does anyone know these?

Here is what i'm working with...

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Yikes! Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your car’s vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to vehicle electrical system. You’ll find the part numbers for the connector and the contacts. Go to the dealer and order the parts. The dealer won’t have the parts but Lufthansa flies a 747 full of BMW parts from Munich to JFK 365 days of the year. You’ll have your parts in a couple of days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

#15 and the socket terminals with wire (listed just below) as needed.
Thanks for replying!
#15 is for the wire harness from inside the car. And looks like 61130056965 is the pin that I need.

Do you know the model number for the bulb harness side? I could even just get a new bulb harness if you know the model number. This one has been harder to find...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I usually just hit the junkyard and snip meself a few spares.

Then de- pin, uncrimp or solder as needed, and reassemble.

While you are there, I would suggest wiring the ground NOT through
that connector- the ground pin cannot handle the current of all the lamps at once.
Most of us wire around it one way or another- I use a standard spade
connector soldered to the goofy AF metal 'traces' BMW used as 'conductors.'

fwiw,
t

1 - 5 of 5 Posts