BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About three years ago I had my car programmed to flash the corner lights when I lock/unlock the doors via the key remote. With in the last week or so it started doing maybe half of the time. I've already tried replacing the battery in the remote and reprogrammed the key to the car.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

2000 323i

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
No flashing of the corner lights sounds like a K-bus issue. Do you have any of the other common symptoms? Turn signals flash on the outside, but, not on the cluster? Radio says disabled? Steering wheel controls don't work?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turn signals are working fine, radio (aftermarket) working fine, the cruise controls are working fine (radio controls inop because of aftermarket headunit).

It very intermitten. It hasn't worked all day and now all of a sudden it's working again.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just searched about the k-bus issue. I'll disconnect my battery tonight anyway to see if it makes a difference. It doesn't sounds like my problem, but it's too easy not to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
Disconnecting the battery is not a fix for K-Bus issues. If it is a K-bus issue the problem module needs to be determined which is a difficult task when the problem is intermittent. Just note anything that seems strange the operation of the car electronics. Sometimes a particular module can be identified as the culprit based on a relatively minor piece of information. Even something like, the car is beeping at me with the key out of the ignition and the driver door closed. This is not suppose to happen so make a note of it.

By the way, the reason I say that your problem sounds like a K-bus issue is because when the GM5 receives the arm & disarm commands from the key fob it sends a message across the K-bus to the LCM module to flash the corner lights. The GM5 itself does not control the lights. They are wired to the LCM module and it is the only module that has direct control of them.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also noticed that I don't get the "door beep" that is supposed to happens when the car is off and the keys are still in the ignition or the lights are still on.

Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts