BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to thank otherside for the ideas and the DIY that encouraged me to do this mod. This mod will remove that dim signal light that turns on when your headlights turn on, for a more cleaner look. I will copy and paste parts of othersides DIY, which can be found here i will include some pictures.

Materials needed

2 - 6ohm resistors (found in the Jlevi LED package or purchased individually at http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm)
4- 16 gauge (i used 18guage) 4 foot wires 2 different colors ex: Black/blue or brown/red etc.
12 - blue cable taps from radioshack, or any auto store.


Instructions:

I will assume you know the basics of e46 sidemarker removal.
1) take out the side marker
2) take out the turn signal in the front (unplug the bulb)
3) get 2 16 gauge wires around 3.5 to 4 feet in length
4) now fish the wire though the fender using a straight clothes hanger once your wire is run you now have 2 wires on both sides.
5) using wire tap-ins you will connect the newly run wires to the existing sidemarker wires (substitute a color)
6) cut the light plug in front off, and use tap-ins to put it on ur newly run wires (according to teh colors you pick)
7) now put a resistor on your remaining wire, which was ur old signal wire. a resistor tricks the car into thinking that there is a bulb there..

so basically you just tap the sidemarker wires for power and take the resistor to the original car front corner wires and fool the car into thinking its got corner bulbs connected anyways....

ok your done do the same on the other side, words of advice mount the resistor on something that wont burn, it gets very hot and will melt/burn.



here are the pictures and a simple video
http://www.nynx.net/phil/images/del/MVI_0926.AVI








good luck!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,087 Posts
nice, gonna do this mod now :)

wouldn't you only need 8 cable taps though instead of 12? :confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jasyn said:
would this be the same same if you have LED turnsignals but 1156 sidemarkers??
i have led 1156 sidemarkers just not in the pics.. yes same exact thing, u actually use your existing resistor.. just cut off the end and connect to the new wire..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BoostedBoogie said:
nice, gonna do this mod now :)

wouldn't you only need 8 cable taps though instead of 12? :confused:
nice to have extra lol i used the number from othersides, i had a bunch of them laying around anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
NyCxZeRo said:
i have led 1156 sidemarkers just not in the pics.. yes same exact thing, u actually use your existing resistor.. just cut off the end and connect to the new wire..
well mine aren't LEDs .. they are just regular bulbs .. so would i even need resistors? couldn't i use the ones for my turnsignals becaues those are the ones that are LEDs then just tap the wires? so confusing :banghead:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u need resistors to fool ur car to thinkin ur bulbs on the wire,, but its not... any bulb u will need this for led or not..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I did a corner delete like 3 weeks ago....did not go this route.

1) Bought a couple new light sockets from Pacific BMW...9.95 each.
2) Used my stock clear bulbs caused i replaced them with Silvervision (painted the stock clears with black BBQ style paint to keep the light from shining through)
3)hooked up the new sockets to the sidemarkers
4) Bling...no cutting and still have stock wire harness just in case you want to go back. Worked great for me....

Might be a cheesy way to go about it, but works great!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
csunflip said:
I did a corner delete like 3 weeks ago....did not go this route.

1) Bought a couple new light sockets from Pacific BMW...9.95 each.
2) Used my stock clear bulbs caused i replaced them with Silvervision (painted the stock clears with black BBQ style paint to keep the light from shining through)
3)hooked up the new sockets to the sidemarkers
4) Bling...no cutting and still have stock wire harness just in case you want to go back. Worked great for me....

Might be a cheesy way to go about it, but works great!
thats the old school way, ghetto but works.. but whatever works right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Jackboot said:
@csunflip: What is the part number for the new light sockets? I'd like to go this route also. Thanks for the post:D
I don't know the exact part number.....never gave it to mo over the phone, but most BMW dealers have them in stock. Much easier and you can always got back to stock at any time! that is what i like.....no cutting of harness! :smokin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
csunflip said:
I don't know the exact part number.....never gave it to mo over the phone, but most BMW dealers have them in stock. Much easier and you can always got back to stock at any time! that is what i like.....no cutting of harness! :smokin:
Do you have the receipt with the part number? Lots of us here would love to have that part number to make sure that we get the right part! TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
csunflip said:
I don't know the exact part number.....never gave it to mo over the phone, but most BMW dealers have them in stock. Much easier and you can always got back to stock at any time! that is what i like.....no cutting of harness! :smokin:
can you please elaborate on what to do? and what the parts your talking about are?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2K5 325i said:
can you please elaborate on what to do? and what the parts your talking about are?
what he means is, keep the existing socket, hide the bulb and then make a new wire.. basicly what i did in the diy minus the resistor, i dont think its worth teh trouble to save 2 little wires :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
phil- thanks for the write up and the resistors!..excellent and easy to do...i recommend this for anyone that has dde's ...definately a must...if anyone is confused, watch his vid a million times before you attempt, that will make it easier...it took about 20 mins max to do the whole thing,,,
 
1 - 20 of 250 Posts
Top