BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed one hose, here's another leak.
So now I'm bother, change all remaining parts and go on.

I can't identity the hose that connect to the highlighted part. Can someone help me to find it?

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
Does your car have an automatic transmission? I think the expansion tank is for a car with an automatic transmission. I think that’s where the automatic transmission fluid heat exchanger attaches.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,707 Posts
...or just replace the 0-ring on every connection you break. The sizes are here somewhere.

Use silicone lube...make sure you don't lose the outer 'aligning' ring that sits outside of the 0-ring...I'd lost a couple over the years...not easy to get a good seal without (though not impossible).

I believe the ET is the same, manual or automatic, but the ET bracket is different between the man and auto--but I've been wrong before.

It's been a long while, OP, but I believe that hose goes to the end of the hardpipe coming from the block...and it is a pitb to replace...especially without worrying about cracking the hardpipe and having to remove the intake manifold. The hoses seem to last a long time and I can recall one every failing--but many do leak. I had a heating hose last 240k miles...it was still good when I replaced it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your car have an automatic transmission? I think the expansion tank is for a car with an automatic transmission. I think that’s where the automatic transmission fluid heat exchanger attaches.
No, manual one as written in the pic.
The hose is present in my car

·
Registered
2000 323Ci coupe manual
294 Posts
I believe that hose goes to the end of the hardpipe coming from the block...and it is a pitb to replace...especially without worrying about cracking the hardpipe and having to remove the intake manifold.
I just replaced this hose. It was stuck on the hardpipe and was difficult to remove. Don't force it. Use lots of penetrating fluid it doesn't come off easily.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...or just replace the 0-ring on every connection you break. The sizes are here somewhere.

Use silicone lube...make sure you don't lose the outer 'aligning' ring that sits outside of the 0-ring...I'd lost a couple over the years...not easy to get a good seal without (though not impossible).

I believe the ET is the same, manual or automatic, but the ET bracket is different between the man and auto--but I've been wrong before.

It's been a long while, OP, but I believe that hose goes to the end of the hardpipe coming from the block...and it is a pitb to replace...especially without worrying about cracking the hardpipe and having to remove the intake manifold. The hoses seem to last a long time and I can recall one every failing--but many do leak. I had a heating hose last 240k miles...it was still good when I replaced it.
I can "touch" a little water on the bottom of the et, I'm quite sure problem is here or in the sensor but I can't reach by eyes that point putting head under car.
The water pump has one year, the hose from the lower radiator is brand new so thermostat. So there is to change the 2 upper hoses from thermostat, et and maybe that one i can't find.
So can you explain what o ring you're talking about?
It is part #5 in this diagram, under the Radiator section. The line shows it connecting to the radiator, which is wrong.
Sometimes you have to dig into semi-related sections in realoem to find what you want.
This one was changed last month and connected to the radiator, part 1 on the schematic above...

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,707 Posts
I can "touch" a little water on the bottom of the et, I'm quite sure problem is here or in the sensor but I can't reach by eyes that point putting head under car.
The water pump has one year, the hose from the lower radiator is brand new so thermostat. So there is to change the 2 upper hoses from thermostat, et and maybe that one i can't find.
So can you explain what o ring you're talking about?
This one was changed last month and connected to the radiator, part 1 on the schematic above...
If you don't want to change the entire hose and deal with a pitb, you can 'just' replace the o-ring inside the ends of the hose...it has a hard ring sitting outside of it...which often slips off.

I don't know the sizes off hand, but know I posted about it...and many others have too...the sizes are here on fanatics somewhere.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you don't want to change the entire hose and deal with a pitb, you can 'just' replace the o-ring inside the ends of the hose...it has a hard ring sitting outside of it...which often slips off.

I don't know the sizes off hand, but know I posted about it...and many others have too...the sizes are here on fanatics somewhere.
Oh wow thank you!
Can you suggest me some specific terms (I'm not good on technical english) to put on "search"?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,707 Posts
The smaller o-ring for the smaller fitting on top of the ET is 5/8 x 1/8.

I got bags from McMaster-carr for the other two sized o-rings on the hoses. The smaller (3/4") hoses take "70 Buna 3.5 x 22" (as marked from McMaster. '70' must be the type of Buna or something.)

The large radiator hoses take:
70 Buna 4 x 38

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

thanks for your contribute, I took a look on amazon for kits but no one is still available. When I'll change the ET, I had to look on some local auto parts shop.

The hose n°4 in the schematic I posted on post #9 will have an oring too? Maybe I'll try to find it.
The lower hose is brand new, no need to further investigate from it now. The central one instead...mmh :)

Changing the ET the o-rings that connect to the plastic pipe underside (parts 1 and 5 of the first image) comes with it? Or do i Need to search them too?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts