BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, recently bought a 330ci back in August and I finally saved up enough for some tools and a cooling system refresh kit. Now I originally saw mango's post and the FCP Euro kit which I was set on getting on but I recently came across the ECS Tuning ones and I'm wondering if difference between those 2 sites. I was also thinking of getting the level 3 kit from ECS Tuning and I see the massive difference in price between the OEM and aftermarket kits. I'm just tryna figure out which one to get since it seems so overwhelming with all these options

Thanks in advance!

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,095 Posts
I usually order from fcpeuro because of the lifetime warranty on all parts, fast order processing and shipping, free shipping after $50, good customer service.

Only you can decide which parts to replace. There may be no price break for a kit.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
The installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten. Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Cooling system parts are located in the engine and radiator sections. Then go to FCPEuro to buy the parts. Select parts that are labeled “OE” (original equipment; part was made by the supplier of the part to BMW) or “OEM” (part was made by a supplier of parts to BMW but not a supplier of this specific part).

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,839 Posts
You can go aftermarket on a couple of things. But when it comes to the pump, ex. tank, mounting plate go OEM or genuine only.
IIRC the FCP gets you there easily. Trust us, I've helped many with the cheaper parts. Sometimes $50 saved is $1500 wasted in the long run.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,679 Posts
If you don't want to go genuine BMW, the following OE/OEM are a good alternative:

Radiator: Nissens
Radiator/Coolant soft hoses: Rein
Water Pump: Saleri
Thermostat: Wahler or Behr
Expansion Tank: Modine
ATF thermostat: CoolantXpress
ATF Cooler O-rings: dealership

It makes more sense to put together your own 'kit' because you avoid extras and off brand parts that ate oftrn included in the kit. Also, there is no price discount from what I've seen.

FCP Euro has a lifetime warranty, which is nice to have. I have had to send a couple Wahler thermostats back because of small leaks beneath the electical connector (a known issue), and one of the Saleri water pumps also had a leak from weep hole. This is between 3 different e46s btw, two of which are high mileage daily drivers. Everything was replaced by FCP for cost of return shipping only to send back defective part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree with much above... steps should be:
1) RealOEM to verify exact parts for your car
2) FCPEuro to identify "OE" parts which are identical to parts car shipped with... I'm increasingly allowing myself to believe what I think is obvious to everyone else - that the BMW labeled stuff is literally the exact same OE parts with a different box or sticker - and when you take warranty into consideration (see below) makes even more sense
3) Decide where you want to buy.
For higher priced things that are likely to fail when you still own the car it's easy to justify the higher prices on FCPEuro which does lifetime warranty on everything which is absolutely amazing for things like a water pump/thermostat that tend to fail in certain models. That said, I order a ton of stuff from ECS and lately have discovered Eeuroparts which has great prices and for certain things I just don't value the lifetime warranty as much and am more price sensitive up front. Shipping time on FCP best by far across multiple orders this year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh thanks guys! Didn’t know about the realoem. I was wary of buying a kit anyway but it seemed like the safest bet cuz I didn’t know what I was actually looking for. Now I can be sure of what I’m getting

·
Registered
226 Posts
hey guys, recently bought a 330ci back in August and I finally saved up enough for some tools and a cooling system refresh kit. Now I originally saw mango's post and the FCP Euro kit which I was set on getting on but I recently came across the ECS Tuning ones and I'm wondering if difference between those 2 sites. I was also thinking of getting the level 3 kit from ECS Tuning and I see the massive difference in price between the OEM and aftermarket kits. I'm just tryna figure out which one to get since it seems so overwhelming with all these options

Thanks in advance!
There is stuff you don't need in the FCP Euro kit. You don't need the ET mounting plate for example. That's $70 you don't need to spend. The old one will be fine. The ECS kit gives you the tensioners and pullies which you do need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts