E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cooling System Question:

My expansion tank went at 130k not too bad, so I took the opportunity to replace my cooling system to include:

Radiator w/drain plug
Engine coolant drain plug crush washer
Water Pump (I previously replaced at 60k when it blew up for $800, they put another cheap plastic wp in, so I replaced with a metal one for $34 and a $.26 nut because the dealer graciously rounded it for me)
Upper thermostat
Lower thermostat
Expansion tank (goes without saying)
Mounting plate
Cooling water connector
Leveling switch
Upper radiator hose w/vent screw
Lower radiator hose w/temp sensor
Hose return
Various O-rings
Belts (since I already had them off)

I couldn't find a DIY for replacement of the 2 water pipes, considering they seem to go into the engine it seems difficult, has anyone replaced these and is there a DIY somewhere I am missing. Also, am I missing anything on the cooling system?

Unidentified Part Question:

As for the part I am unable to identify, I have attached photos (please ignore how dirty my engine is, that's a DIY for another day) of the part in question, it is located to the left of the upper thermostat and has a cylinder thing with the attached sensor(?)thing. This part is leaking what seems to be oil and I would like to change it out in conjunction with an oil change and oil pressure sender change (changed oil level sender last oil change).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
VANOS Solenoid - Exhaust.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
that would be an exhaust vanos solenoid which is part number 11361432532

Are you sure thats where its leaking? There is a replaceable oring on that solenoid which is part number: 11361703713, you might try doing the oring first instead of replacing the whole solenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. three tensioner pulleys and a new water pump pulley. What makes you think oil is leaking from that area?
Pulleys were done last year. It's hard to tell where the leak is coming from, everything was so dirty, that piece and everything around it was completely black with like 1/16" of gunk on it, but that piece has an oily substance that seems to be dripping and I can't find any other leaks (that doesn't mean there aren't any).

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
Mine was like that too. Took me an hour and two tooth brushes to get all the thick tar off of it. I'm not sure where the oil is coming from either, but the area (5,000 miles later) is still relatively clean after cleaning it. If you find a solution, let me know. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you sure that it isn't the valve cover gasket leaking on top of the VANOS solenoid? I have 122,000 miles on mine, and that is what I have happening. I am waiting until it gets a bit nicer here to replace the gasket.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Pulleys were done last year. It's hard to tell where the leak is coming from, everything was so dirty, that piece and everything around it was completely black with like 1/16" of gunk on it, but that piece has an oily substance that seems to be dripping and I can't find any other leaks (that doesn't mean there aren't any).
Best to clean up your engine bay, use some Tracerline, and track down that leak (or leaks). Using Tracerline is not absolutely necessary, but it helps a ton in finding not so obvious oil leaks.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Are you sure that it isn't the valve cover gasket leaking on top of the VANOS solenoid? I have 122,000 miles on mine, and that is what I have happening. I am waiting until it gets a bit nicer here to replace the gasket.
Thats what I was thinking. Do the VCG if its leaking and clean up the area and see what happens. If it is indeed leaking then buy the oring part number i posted and replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, I'll clean it up another day and try to pin point the location, checking the suggested areas, I'll let you know if I end up finding the culprit.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Leaks on the other side (left/driver's side) where the VANOS input solenoid is are usually the VANOS oil line. If you replace that, you're supposed to replace the crush washers too and there are four of those, 2 on each end of the oil line. If your leak is definitely on the passenger/exhaust side of the VANOS, then as others said most likely cause is VCG.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts