E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, my coolant check light came on in my car. At first, I thought it was nothing so I just topped off the coolant and drive. The next day, the same thing happen, so I figured something is wrong. Again, I topped it off and drive to my friend's auto repair shop (my car is out of warranty). My friend said everything was fine and there seemed to be no leak. I drove home that night and parked my car in the garage. As soon as I got out, I started seeing smoke coming out from the engine (the temperature gauge remained in the middle). I checked under the car, and there were coolant gushing out like water.

I ended up replacing the coolant reservoir, and I thought everything will be fine from then on. I was wrong! In the previous week, I had to replace the thermostat, the reservoir and also the upper hose for my radiator.

All the leaking is gone now, but I have encountered a new problem. The car is running really HOT! The large fan in front of the engine is running continuously all at time. Even when I just started the car, the fan would be running. What is the problem this time? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My car is a 330ci with about 68,000 miles.

Thanks

·
Halfway to 2L
2,309 Posts
did you: use BMW coolant, use distilled water, mix 50/50, check for a blockage in your radiator, drain the block when you changed the coolant, run the engine and then check the coolant level again? thats all I can think of right now

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know about the BMW coolant, but I think the shop uses PEAK Antifreeze.

I have two bottles of BMW Antifreeze at home right now. How easy is it to flush the coolant and put new one in? How do I check for blockage in my radiator? I just went outside and check the coolant leve, it is at the maximum level, so I guess there are no coolant leak.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been about an hour since I turn off the car, and yet it is still hot.

I did loosen the bleedscrew and turn on the heater(whille the car is off). There seems to be no air coming out and no bubbles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone help?

I have replaced every cooling parts for the car, and it is still running hot!

I tried to bleed the coolant system, and have done it many times. No air is coming out. The coolant level is fine, however, the engine is extremely hot. I am afraid that if I drive the car, the engine will be overheated and I would have to replace the whole engine.

Please help me out. I don't want to have to sell this car to fix this problem.
Thanks.

The car Auxiliary fan seems to run at maximum power at all time, even when I just start the car. Also, when I put my ears near the water pump area, I can hear a faint ticking sound... and I just replaced the pump maybe 2 weeks ago. What's going on?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Let me understand what you are saying.
When you say even an hour after shutdown the engine is really hot.
How do you determin that? Is your temp gauge still in the middle or are
you just judging that just by the fact that your fan is still running?
The reason I am asking is that I am facing a problem right now where
the cooling fan just does not turn of anymore. That is a mailfunction
of the fan unit itself and is not related to engine temperature.

·
Registered
106 Posts
TommyX4437 said:
It's been about an hour since I turn off the car, and yet it is still hot.

I did loosen the bleedscrew and turn on the heater(whille the car is off). There seems to be no air coming out and no bubbles.
I thought that to properly bleed the system you had to add the coolant mixture with the bleedscreww loosened until the coolant comes out of the bleedscrew without any bubbles...this is how I recall that Bentley outlines the procedure.

·
Registered
19,739 Posts
cimbali said:
I thought that to properly bleed the system you had to add the coolant mixture with the bleedscreww loosened until the coolant comes out of the bleedscrew without any bubbles...this is how I recall that Bentley outlines the procedure.
Yup.
-When the car is cool, open the bleedscrew and the radiator cap.
-Start the car and have a buddy sit in it and keep an eye on the temp.
-Fill the rad. till the fluid comes out of the bleed screw. Keep an eye on the opening at the radiator....should be a constant flowing stream like you're taking a piss. If you see it spurt once in a while, that's the air pockets coming out. Have your buddy in the car hold the gas down a little to keep the water pump pushing. Squeeze the upper radiator hose to make sure you loosed any bubbles that might be trapped sitting at that high point. Once you don't see bubbles at the bleeder, close it off. Make sure you don't see bubbles at the rad. opening. Close it off. Shut down the car. Let it cool. Open side tank and top off. You should be good to go. It took me a couple times to finally get everything out, but it worked.

Oh, you asked how to drain the block. There's a big bolt in the bottom of your block near the back half of the exhaust manifold. When you undo it, all the coolant in the block comes out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did this several times already. Everytime I do this, there are no air bubbles coming out, only coolant. I even put almost half a bottle of BMW Coolant mixed with distilled water in there, and let it bleed for half an hour. The coolant was running of the bleeder screw onto the ground (almost half a bottle), and no air was coming out. I even try to squeeze the radiator hose.

It's not that my car is overheating; it's just running much hotter than the average car. It takes more than 6 hours just to cool and get hot after 10 minutes of driving.

Any other idea?

·
Registered
895 Posts
TommyX4437 said:
A few weeks ago, my coolant check light came on in my car. At first, I thought it was nothing so I just topped off the coolant and drive. The next day, the same thing happen, so I figured something is wrong. Again, I topped it off and drive to my friend's auto repair shop (my car is out of warranty). My friend said everything was fine and there seemed to be no leak. I drove home that night and parked my car in the garage. As soon as I got out, I started seeing smoke coming out from the engine (the temperature gauge remained in the middle). I checked under the car, and there were coolant gushing out like water.

I ended up replacing the coolant reservoir, and I thought everything will be fine from then on. I was wrong! In the previous week, I had to replace the thermostat, the reservoir and also the upper hose for my radiator.

All the leaking is gone now, but I have encountered a new problem. The car is running really HOT! The large fan in front of the engine is running continuously all at time. Even when I just started the car, the fan would be running. What is the problem this time? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My car is a 330ci with about 68,000 miles.

Thanks
I know you said you replaced the thermostat, hoses and reservoir but did you check/replace the waterpump? They are prone to fail!

Jared

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
was the issue resolved? curious to see what the problem is, so that when it happens to me(and it will, as luck has had its way with my car already), i'll know what to do.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think the engine being hot even after a hour or two is normal . That's one reason why you have to have syntheic oil due to the high heat. As for the fan running continous it shouldn't be doing that. Scan the OBDII and see if you have any codes latched.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts