E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, about a week ago i started my 2003 325i to go to school and noticed the coolent light came on, so i parked it and took a different car. i went home later that day and found my expansion tank was cpletely empty so i filled it up. i also took a look under the car and saw no evidence of a leak. yesterday i was going to give her a wash and saw a drop of coolent. i took a few pictures. this is below the expansion tank and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly is leaking here. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
465 Posts
The reason you didn't see a leak was because you didn't take off the bottom engine cover. Clean it and see where the leak is. Need pics to help you identify a leak.
edit: theres the pics.

Looks like a leak in a hose along with a leak in the e/t
Read here:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109
Gives you all the info you need regarding cooling systems.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did mine last week because of an o-ring problem where the expansion tank plugs in to the mount. I can't tell if yours is an automatic but you should replace the transmission thermostat at the same time. It sometimes breaks when you pull off the expansion tank.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mines an automatic. wheres the transmission thermostat located?

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's a plastic cylinder piece that goes between the expansion tank and the smaller round mount at the bottom. After you pull your tank out if your looking down at the mounting point it's the smaller round connection on the left. I'm not saying its cracked on yours but it was leaking on mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts